injection or carbs

wrightster

I am looking at buying a westie in the next 3 mths hopefully just under 8k to spend i really want a 1.8/2.0 16v but i get the impression that injection is better than carbs but if this is the case why do so many cars have carbs as surely the engine comes with the injection system as standard ?

Any advice help most appreciated - cheers

For homebuilt cars, carbs are simpler, hence more likely that more builders take the easy option. This is especially true if they aren't hoping to eek every last ounce of oomph from their motors..

Also, as I recently found out (I asked a similar question not too long ago  :) ) Fuel injected Westies are generally on throttle bodies and NOT the standard single point injection, so suddenly cost could be a big factor, as carbs become the cheaper option.

Wayne M

Injection will give you neglible more peak power (if any), however, as it can be mapped at any point of throttle opening it will give nearly double the mpg and be a lot smoother/responsive when driving on part throttle.

A car with injection (not the standard setup, the after-market throttle body setup) will usually carry a premium of £1,000-£1,500 over it's carbed counterpart due to the cost involved in converting (throttle bodies, ECU, loom, fuel tank, etc.).

So, in short, if you can, get one with injection. If you can't, don't worry too much, it'll still be quick enough and fine to drive.

If you can't, don't worry too much, it'll still be quick enough and fine to drive.

Well said Graeme and I just happen to have one in the 'for sale' section at a little under £8k with carbs :D  :D  :D  ;)

How old are you?

A) If you are over 50 you are likely to do your washing in a tub by a stream and dry your clothes afterwards using a mangle. It is likely the equipment to do this will require extensive set up time and consume vast amounts of natural resources.

B) If you are under 50 you are likely to use a washer / drier machine that does the job a lot faster. There are some complicated electronics inside but you don't need to know how they work to operate the machine satisfactorily. This equipment is the pinnacle of efficiency providing modern performance, refinement and energy savings.

If you answered yes in A) carburretors are for you. If you answered B) then you should go for injection.

:p  :p  :p  :p  :D  :D  :sheep:

Windy

Injection will give you neglible more peak power (if any)

I disagree - if you compare Webers with the Weberesque twin choke throbble botties then you might have a point.

But, if you look at the peak power, and more importantly power delivery throughout the rev range, with the Jenvey tapered throbble botties then you do see clear improvements all the way through.

In addition, fuel injection, as windy alludes to, is much more efficient.

But, if you look at the peak power, and more importantly power delivery throughout the rev range, with the Jenvey tapered throbble botties then you do see clear improvements all the way through.

Spot on I have gone from 45`s to tapered t/bodies and the difference is very noticeable. Even other Westy owners that have had passenger rides before and after have noticed the difference. :D

Ok Ok I am under 50 by 20 years !!, do you think i will be able to find an injected westie for about the 7.5 - 8k price range ? and if i do buy an injected one will i be spending more money if it goes wrong than with carbs ? and last question (for now) whats the big difference between standard injection and throbble botties ?? thanks folks your help is most appreciated..