SVA & Fuel filler position

Derm

Does anyone know if the fuel filler has to be on an external surface of the car to pass SVA?

I've bought a 2nd hand fuel cell, but have had conflicting advice as to whether it'll pass - I was going to access the tank filler by making the middle section of the boot cover removeable (no boot box)

The reason given for potential SVA failure was that fuel spilled during filling would technically end up inside the car (although it will just run off the tank and on to the ground)

TIA

Peter

Mr car passed SVA last year. It is fitted with a race tank which sits where the boot box would normally be. The neck of the tank protrudes vertically upwards through a sheet of 1mm thick ali that covers the whole of the boot box aperture.

It could be argued that spillage whilst re-fuelling could end up inside the car as the ali panel is flat, but I think that SVA is more concerned with leakage whilst in motion or statically if the car became inverted. From what I can remember, the SVA inpector's main concern was that the cap offered a good seal, which it does being of the screw-on variety.

Think you may have to cover the tank though....

HTH

Regards all

Richard

SVA manual says:

"Check all fuel system components for leaks, security, suitability of design/construction, positioning"

"Check fuel tank filler caps for presence, security and to ensure that, when closed, they will not allow fuel to leak".  Reasons for failure on the filler cap are "Not fitted, not secured by a positive means, not incorporating an adequate sealing arrangement so that a fuel leak is possible".

So, seems to me that it is unlikely to fail but it could be subject to interpretation - a phone call to your proposed SVA station might be worthwhile.