Rebuilding Brakes

waynem

I have a minging pile of rusty metal on my garage floor that is apparently a mixture of uprights, callipers, discs and other stuff.

First job is to refurbish the brakes...

I don't know the real damage yet (these thinks always looks worse than they really are too, I hope :( ) but this weekends task is to dismantle, clean up and start to rebuild.

Does the average (Ford) motorfactor stock rebuild kits (new piston, seals, bleed valves, retaining pins etc.) for Sierra (rear) and Cortina (front) callipers or are the parts  a little more exotic and hard to come by? ???

Ha! I hear you say... Cortina callipers exotic!!!!!!!

Well, we all have to start somewhere!  :t-up:

IMHO dont bother doing the job yourself, especially the Sierra rear calipers. You can get reconditioned units using yours for exhange for not much more than you would pay to get all the bits and pieces.

I doubt whether the local Ford dealer would have the items in stock either, after all, even the Sierra rears are at least ten years old now!

I would agree with stu - get yourself some re-con units  ;)

I wouldn't want to question your superior knowledge  ;)  but after an hour or so with some WD40, Dremmel with little wirebrush attachment and and nearly passing out with brake cleaner fumes, one hunk of rusting metal has been transformed into a nice looking calliper!! Knew I was onto a winner when I pressed the handbrake lever and the piston moved in and out sweet as you like.. You could apply your make-up in the piston surface and bore :D so the workings seem fine!! Just need some new seals!!!!

Think I agree about the front stoppers! They are the important ones !! May splash out on some aluminium CATs, but I do like getting dirty in the garage (Oooer!;)

We'll see!  :t-up:

The guys are actually right, the seal kits are f******g expensive :0  BUT if you hunt around you can get down to something affordable, but a few phone calls will be needed.

just to worry you more

by the way if you have stripped a rear caliper........have you tried to put it together again;... :devil:  :devil: ..they are a real sod!!! I did do it when I re-built mine but it was almost impossible without messing up the seals....   but with patience you can do it

Dave

The little pieces of rubber that make up the seal and dust cover are expensive ? Did your repair kit include the piston and internals (self adjuster nut and gubbins) ? I was hoping to re-use the piston and internals (just need to remove some corrosion from the crown) and spend a few quid on the seal/dust cover rubbers .......

Now I'm getting depressed.... ???

I'll pop into the local Ford dealers and ask a few polite questions......

Ta!