Trapezium shaped ali panel

I'm thinking about lowering my car from it's conveniently high tables onto wheels but then realised I still haven't fitted the trapezium-shaped ali panel that fits at the tail end, under the fuel tank. Doing this with the car on the ground will be more difficult.

What is the purpose of this panel? As far as I can tell, all it will do is protect the bottom of the fuel tank (from what? ) and collect water if I seal it!  ???

Ideas....

Thanks.

I have seen this in other build site pictures, my kit (zetec) does not include this panel? I would be interested to know if it is necessary / useful.

???

Looking at a build in the factory the other day I don't see how it could fit with the swirl pot on the fuel tank. I have not seen a Westy with one fitted yet.

JD

I have this panel installed on mine but apart from adding a small prtotection layer underneath the fuel tank, I cannot think of any other purpose that it may have for being there.

On another slightly different point, can I suggest that you lower the car onto four axle stands rather than onto the wheels themselves? That way, the car will be at a better level for working on the engine and body etc. (i.e. within an inch or so of having it on the wheels) but you can either have the wheels on or off to suit what you are working on at any one time without having to continuously jack the car up an down.

Just a thought, it worked for me!

can I suggest that you lower the car onto four axle stands rather than onto the wheels themselves

Beginning to thinks it's time to purchase some stands since I started trying to bleed the brakes and find fluid leaking from nearly everywhere!

Having wheels on makes it dam-near impossible to tell if the leak is from the caliper piston (really, really hope not since they were recond. professionally :angry: ) or just the connections.

Haxsaw,

I too did wonder about the use of the mentioned panel - back at the start of this year when I collected the bits.  I left it off much as you are thiniking - with the aim to fit it a bit later.

However, once I have fitted the tank and fuel filter & pump, cannot see that it is an 'easy' fit any more.  Although the new type fuel tanks are not swirl pot - exactly - they do have a lower LH rear corner which has a horizontally mounted tapping for the fuel outlet hose.  IMHO the most suitable run for the hose - to fuel filter - to hose - to fuel pump - etc. has cluttered this area under the tank.

I too cannot see any good erason for the panel - and never bothered to as WF.  If you are relly keen the a call to WF might be a good idea.

Simon