Exhaust Slilener Mount???

Brucester

I have a SEIW VX 2l.  The other day I hear a knocking and it looks like the bracket the holds the silencer to the body has either broken or fallen off.  Could any one show me what it looks like or give me the part number for it, as I can't see it in the Westy price list.

Cheers guys

Is it the rubber bit thats gone?  When mine went, I phoned Westfield, and they sent me a complete exhaust fitting kit (well, all the parts around that bracket, and a couple of clamp type things).  If it is just the rubber bit rapid fit exhaust type places are generally obliging.  I got one free from central tyres, and Shaun got one from a Quik Fit I think.

Thanks, the lovely guys at Westfield sent one out and its now fitted.  Took it for a test run and the accelerator cable broke!  Got to get that sorted now, not sure which one I need!

Take some advice on this, but if the throotle cable is under that much strain, you either need to check the routing to avoid kinks and so on, or consider using two cables.

Its easy enough to convert the pedal to a twin cable, and most throttle lever assemblies now have the fittings for two cables.

Take some advice on this, but if the throttle cable is under that much strain, you either need to check the routing to avoid kinks and so on, or consider using two cables.

Also, check the mounting to the carburettor. I have seen several examples of cables clamped to non-swiveling joints on the carburettor actuator arm (including my son's which lasted just 300 miles)! The cable end MUST be fitted to a revolving mounting of some kind that ensures that it is always pulling in a straight line  - sounds obvious but from the ones I have seen maybe it is not that obvious to some constructors!

A couple of tips on throttle cables:

Firstly, when you install the cable, make sure that the pedal hits the end stop (at full throttle) before the carb. This avoids putting a massive strain on the cable when you plant your foot firmly on the pedal. Webers always open some way past full throttle anyway.

Secondly, get a bike brake cable inner to replace the snapped cable (keep the outer sleeve). Much better quality than the Weber part, and about 1/4 of the cost.#

Ian