Virgin

beaker

Hello all,

Have been an admirer of the Westfield for a very long time and having just sold my Porsche 944 i am ready to take the plunge, i have been looking through the magazines and websites but am now confused, please help with any advice.

I have £6000 to spend, what should i get, what should i look for, what engine, etc, any advice would appreciated.

Cheers

Hyah Beaker  :t-up:

get a yellow one with a Zzzzzzeeeeeetec engine

cos they're the best  :cool:

he he that should get them all going  :p

6K puts you firmly in x-flow/Pinto engine territory, and you should be able to pick up a nicely finished early wide bodied car.......just.......Any less will see you looking at narrow bodied cars with the same motive power, but perhaps not in the first flush of youth......

Hurdsey's idea of a (yellow) Zetec (or any other colour), would see you need to add 2K to your budget for a nice example. 8K puts you firmly in nice, wide bodied Zetec/Vx 16v engined car territory, and spending the extra money is a decision you won't regret, IMO. Indeed the extra spent now may save you some money in the long run.

Agree with all of what Blatman said (wouldn't dare do otherwise really :devil: ).

£8k will mean you can take your pick of a wide selection.

Having said that, I reckon you are going to be in a strong bargaining position as we go into Winter, so even if you can only stretch to £7k, you should be able to negotiate on £8k to £8.5k ers.

(I managed to find a few nice cars up for anywhere between £8k and £10k where I got the price down to £7k to £8k, and that was back in May) In case you are wondering I didn't buy them cos I managed to find mine for a lot less, but it is a narrow body.

So next you will want to decide on engine - so use the "search" facility (that'll save Blatters a post!;)

Good Luck

Apologies to anyone trying to sell at the mo!!

VX powered car, standard on 45`s circa 180 bhp bhp :cool:  :p

you have to spend money for same power from fords

well worth the extra money now

(This is only my opinion of course, not that I am biased about the fantastic power, torque and reliability of the VX engined westies ;) )

Easy there fella......we don't want this to degenerate into a Vx versus Zetec debate, now do we.........

Yeah, but IMO, nothing makes a noise like an X-Flow.

And lets be honest lads, getting the right noises during your pleasure means that you're doing it right! :love:  :devil:  :p

So beaker, if you can wait a couple of weeks there will (for the right price)  be a very very nice Factory built X-Flow for sale nr Bracknell/Ascot/Windsor :sheep:  :sheep:

Besides that X-flows are still blooming cheap to fix & service.

To pinch from someone else

X-Flow Power - lowtech luddite & proud

Oh & sorry - forgot to add - at least with a xflow you haven't got all that lardy iron upfront................. (head down and running)

*cough* errmmm And download a membership form from www.wscc.co.uk - it'll be one of the best £20 (ish) you spend  :blush:  :D  :p  Club mag always has plenty of members cars for sale  ;)  :)

Takes coat of hanger  ;)  :D  :blush:

Ok well cheers chaps, you seem to off forgotten my original plea and gone off on a tangent all by yourselves?

Im probably just as confused now but i think i get the general idea.

Cheers

Trouble is mate, its difficult to answer your question without knowing what you actually want from the car, and how much work you are prepared to do to it to get it to the standard required.

For instance, early narrow bodied cars that are immaculate will fetch this kind of money and more if it highly specced. But as Blatman says, with a bit of searching, you could drop on a fairly recent car for the same money, which may want a bit of love.

Do you intend the car to be a weekend blatter, or something to be used all the time, or do you perhaps fancy a dabble at a bit of motorsport? As your search begins, you will notice that there is an amazing choice to be had. Where one person will want a hood, heater and carpet, others will spend their hard earned on Kevlar seat shells and lightweight wheels. And as Chrisbin says, use the search facility, probably most of your questions have already been answered at some stage.

It is now a buyers market as winter approaches. Dont rush your choice, go and look at a few cars and go along to the local meet and have a chat with the other members, who I'm sure will only be too pleased to give you a ride and guide you through seemingly murky waters.

Above all, have fun!

HTH Stu.

Stu999 is right.  Without knowing exactly what you want from your car, then its difficult to say precisely.  If its mainly for weekend touring/blatting then your likely to want a few comforts like wipers/sidescreens/carpets - especially if you're carrying a passenger for some of the time.

With 6K I'd bet you want to buy a decent example that you can change over time as and when you want to.

Given that Neville Bull has found someone who'll do an 1800 Zetec Transplant (guessing at 150bhp plus) on his 1600 CVH engined example for about £2500 ish, then it probably wouldn't be much of a hardship to buy a xflow (with the exhaust exiting on the left - or the "RIGHT side" so to speak.....) in nice cond for about 6K then upgrade the engine later.  Pinto exhausts exit on the Right (i.e. the wrong side of the car) for most engine upgrades - hence you'd need to re-shell the car too, unless going for a new Duratec installation, and I guess they won't be a cheap for a long time yet.

BTW IMO - 1600 CVH engines are normally a little on the lowpowered side (105 to 115) + I don't know how lardy the engine is - you've seen my views above on xflows, which tend to be found more commonly as modified engines with 135/140 or 155 bhp. (and the xflow engine installation weighs in substantially lighter than Pinto or Vx - 30 or 40 kilos?)

With xflows as well, as some people "upgrade" xflows to zetec/vx power then you find good quality "2nd user!!!!!" parts freely available through the for sale pages here and also in the  L7CGB. (www.blatchat.com) - and that lot have normally got soooo much money to spend that they don't care about the price they get on selling their old bits (meeeoooww) :devil:

Good luck on making your choice! :D

Oh and sorry you'll need to decide on the look of the car you're after

Swept wing "classic 7" look,

Cycle wing - more "racing 7" look

TA