Driveshaft Gaiters

JamesD

After getting incredibly messy putting in my driveshafts, I have a question about the gaiters.

There are 2 knurls about 1/4 way down each end of the bar shafts, does the inboard end of the gaiter need to locate between these 2 knurls? It just that the gaiter seems very scrunched up at the moment in this position. My concern really is longevity by having the gaiter located in this way.

Regards,

JD

I have just fitted mine and have fixed the small end of the gaiter between these raised rings. It seems logical as otherwise the gaiter would be free to slide along the shaft if the clip was not fully tight. Also when the suspension is compressed the shaft to joint angle is less and the gaiters look less stressed.

Incidentally I found the supplied metal ratchet clips to be useless and have used cable ties to secure the gaiter. I assumed this would be OK.

I also have put on cable ties.  I found ones which were the same width as the 'groove' in the gaiter.  We shall see if they are ok.  The weigh so little that I cannot see a problem with balance cause by the 'lock'.

I have used cable ties on my drive shaft gaters for many years, they work well and it has never been an issue on an MOT.

Seconded, they are supplied as standard in replacement gaitor kits ;) Brian.