SVA Fail

d1unc

I had my Speedsport 1800 SVA tested today in the pouring rain - did I get wet or what  :)

It failed on three points...

1)  The back brakes locked before the front brakes during the dynamic brake test.

2)  There was no reserve travel with the brake pedal fully depressed.

3)  The edges on the fog light switch and gauges didn't have the minimum 2.5mm radius.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received...

Other than bleeding the brakes yet again and checking for a shiny greasy layer on the front brakes, does anyone know how to ensure the front brakes lock before the rear?

All the Westfield’s I have driven always seem to have a lot of travel on the brake pedal before you start to brake including mine.  Is this normal or am I unlucky  ???   Is there anything I can do to reduce the travel and prevent the pedal reaching the end?

An interesting point I did not know is that there is an exempt zone of 125mm around the steering wheel for the 2.5mm radius rule.  By moving the fog light switch to the far right location it will pass - hooray.  On the other hand the gauges will still fail.  I am waiting to hear from Westfield as to them supplying me with new gauges that will pass the SVA.  It's a bit annoying that they supply gauges that will fail.

Thanks...

Dunc

It's a bit annoying that they supply gauges that will fail.

Are these the same gauges that have been fitted to factory built and other customer built cars that have passed SVA ???

If yes then why did yours fail ??? if you have different gauges then you may have a problem - borrow some that are SVA compliant.

1) This is a common problem see other threads re -ftting a bias valve. Do you have twin master cylinders with floor mounted pedals, in which case TADTS.

2) You may need to bleed all your system and perhaps take a closer look, check out a search on this boardroom for some ideas to suit your specific set-up.

3) You can fit some edging strip to resolve this problem - but without sounding abrupt, why buy items that fail SVA or did someone sell them to you saying that they would comply ? in which case take em back and get them exchanged or refunded. The least they could do is supply the edging strip free of charge to enable you to pass.

I know it's late in the day ...... but for any new builders buying parts from various suppliers ... always ask if it is SVA compliant, if it's not then be wary ..... your better option would be to buy fully SVA compliant parts, they are available.

SVA has been around for a number of years, long enough for parts to be updated.

All the Westfield’s I have driven always seem to have a lot of travel on the brake pedal before you start to brake including mine

Mine doesn't, but it is a much older type from 1989  ;)  :D  :D

Good Luck

If you have all new discs and pads then I bet the brakes need bedding in my car was just the same and seemed to take forever to bed the brakes in. You are going to have to find a place that you can drive the car around applying the brakes. Not the public highway.  :blush:

My SpeedSport WAS going to fail on the same rear brake problem but the examiner suggested that I drove round the test area for a few minutes frequently pressing in the brake pedal with my left foot to get the pads to 'bed in' - bearing in mind I had only driven the car once and that was to the test centre and the roads were icy so I hardly touched the brakes all the way, this was good advice! Having done this, the brake test was passed easily and the fronts locked up first.

Contrary to the problems that others have experienced with this system, I have had no further problems and the car stops progressively and safely every time and is phenominally good at slowing on track days! I have only had to make one emergency stop (apart from the SVA test) and the car slid perfectly to a halt in a straight line.

The brake travel problem sounds like adjustment is required rather than there being a terminal problem with the brake system. As a preliminary step, re-read and check out the procedure on page 12 of the setup section of the build manual and check that everything is as it should be.

Good luck with the re-test

This is the second car that I have heard of failling on the guages I would over come this by machining up a radiused ring that goes over the exsisting rim of the guage in plastic or alloy glue it on with silicone and go for the retest just do not make it any deeper that 12mm as it will fail as i stickes out to far.

Paul.

Thanks for your help guys.

I have checked the front pads and found them to be very shinny.  I have roughed them up a bit with 80 grit sandpaper and it seems to have cured the lock up problem.

Bleeding the brakes has also solved the reserve pedal travel problem.

I spoke to Westfield about the gauges.  They have sent me a new dash; this one has a double thickness of foam so when the dials are fitted they will recess into the foam.  I haven't fitted it yet and I am still a bit unsure.  Oh well I will give it a go.  I can't see why Westfield didn't supply this or different gauges when I picked the kit up in April 2002 though.

Thanks again,

Dunc