xflow 1.7 carbs

PeterB

What should I replace the single japanese carb with to get best results from my xflow? At present it is lumpy at low revs (not very often) and is quite thirsty. Would a pair of su's or webers perform better?

Hopeful newcomer !

Regards PeterB

Twin Weber 40's would definitely see you with more poke. Fuel economy should not be too bad as my mate gets circa 30mpg with his xflow with the above set-up.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to give you the inns and outs of a decent carb set-up.

All the best JD  

:)

Twin webber dcoe 40's or Dellorto's IMO are the common. but Im sure there are many other combinations. All suitable providing they are jetted correctly.

I've heard but not experienced it personally (cue Blatman/ others) that the webbers tend to go out of tune, where as the dellorto's tend to require less adjustment, over time.

Recently had my Dcoe 40's tuned by southern carbs and had no bother since. Jetting will depend on what state of tune your engine is  in etc but a rolling road / tuning session is well worth the outlay in the long run! Once you've got something suitable.

Overhaul kits for Dcoe40's are around £14 each carb. The carbs are fairly straightforward to o/haul. jets,pumps,chokes etc arent too expensive, but are additional to the o/haul kit.

Dont learn the expensive way as I did and fit a "wish list" set of jets etc According to Vulcan. Only for them all to be changed for different ones on the rolling road

:durr:

Twin Dellorto's are a popular choice for X-flows and work very well  ;)  :D

Weber twin 40's will also be more than adequate  :p  :D  ;)

Take your choice and get the best deal you can, don't forget you're also gonna need a new shallow depth manifold to mount em on  :D  ;)

Then get em rolling road tuned, balanced and set-up - to suit your car  ;)  :D  :)

Look at parts for sale. John has a set of 40's plus 2 for spares all for the bargain sum £100.00 :)  :D

Yup, I've heard that about Dellorto's over Webers too, but I'm not sure if it's fact or fiction. Adjusting webers is something that I rarely do, and is something that takes just a few minutes when I do do it, so I wouldn't be too worried about the differences.

For jetting requirements, download the jetting program(me) from Dave Andrews web site, and use it. I used it for my Cossie upgrades earlier this year, and it was spot on. Your mileage may vary, of course, but it'll put you in the ball park, and *should* save some time and money. I won't guarantee that, of course..............

Yep Blatman's link to Dave Andrews website is worth a look.

I run a  :blush: 1700 X-flow  :blush: with twin DHLA 40's and Kent BCF2 cam ( nothing fancy ), long 4-1 manifold.

Jetting etc checked from the above link/program, 95@wheels.  I dont yet know how well my head is flowed, still happy enough till winter, then more power  :p

1.7 xflow - twin 45's According to Richard Smith at Westfield whats now my car was originally fitted with Kent 234 Cam & poss big valve too.

I havent had the head off so can't confirm. (Richard Smith also thought they also used mine as a demonstrator for a short period - BUT - the first registered owner was the guy I bought from.... weird!;)

RRoad setup gave 115.5bhp @ wheels

Still runs the same now as after the tuneup - i.e. touch lumpy when cold  but fine warmed up.

Those Second Hand twin 40's look a great option though!

TA

Many Thanks to you all for your replies, I didn't know what to expect when I posted my message, I will take your advice and buy those 40's if still available.

Thanks again,

PeterB