Throttle bodies

rose5691

Hi, looking to convert my Zetec 2L from carbs and need all the necessary bits. Just on the off-chance if anyone has them lying around.

John. ;)  ;)  ;)

Hi rose5691

Its not going to be a cheap swop

Fuel pump

Return fuel line

ECU

Throttle bodies

RR set up

Tony

yeh, I know. I'm going to NMS for the work but as I'm running to a budget I'm going to try and pick it up second hand and then spend what I've saved on cams or other bits. ;)

Cheers for that. Are they a common mate for the Zetec and what else would I need. What should I expect to pay?

Sorry for all the questions.

John.

I have blackbird carbs, don't see why you couldn't use them you would need a manifold (Bog Bros) possibly £200 , don't now how much to pay for them but there are other bike carbs

Have a look Here carbs and manifolds

Tony

A daunting prospect! I wonder how much I'll actually save by going down this route. Is it worth the hasstle of sourcing all the bits and knowing which bits I need?

Hi John, I've used suzuki GSXR 600 bodies from a 2002 bike. these are re-spaced so to use a zetec side draught manifold and standard fuel rail and fuel regulator. Jag fuel pump and plumed in a fuel return.I've used the suzuki injectors which are ample to feed a standard 2 ltr black-top, use the zetec crank pos sensor and the bike TPS. Thats the cheap bit. You now need an ECU, I used Emerald. Make a loom and get on the rollers. I leveled out at 164 bhp if numbers intrest you. That all cost me just under a grand. megasquirt would be cheaper and a jenvy set up more expensive. All that said, I would'nt go back to carbs. Hope this helps. Ian.

Brilliant info Ian. When shall we start :D  ;)

Seriously, I think I'm a bit out of my depth as I've never done this type of thing before and it doesn't seem as "plug and play" as I thought-unless it's scarey initially.

John.

The actual gain just for TB's is not worth it unless you have plans for serious head / cam / piston work /  new exhaust.....

Weber45's vs TB's on like for like engine around 15bhp difference... this is on a basic, standard engine and will cost around £1500 maybe to do the swap. Thats alot of £££ for little bhp gain

I agree, my initial reason for T/B's was to use a radical cam in a crossflow, then when I did the engine swap I simply used what I had. So I actually spent the money on the X/flow. Why dont you just take your car to NMS and let them tune your carbs, maybe some gain to be had there ! or bike carbs and megajolt. Still not much gain to be had over webbers though. Ian.

I've been to see Troy and he 's squeezed every last bit out of my webbers so this is where I'm at now. I think I may start with cams....or tb's....oh b**ger! Just not sure.

Throttle bodies and ecu, properly set up, isn't just about headline max. power increase. You can expect a much better bottom end and mid-range, so it is a nicer engine to drive on the road. Because of that, they tend to be of more benefit on engines which have high lift cams and high compression ratio, because such an engine running on carbs will tend to be more or less poor at pulling smoothly at low revs.

There's a Duratec on parts for sale. What do you think would be involved in a swap over from my Zetec, and costs?

John.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.