Axle Stands

gregh

Where are the preferred jacking points so as to change tyres or put on stands or do you all strip em and lift em

I jack the front up from underneath the second cross member from the front (at it's centre) and then use two axle stands (with wooden blocks to act as protective pillows) one on each side just to the rear of the same cross member.

For the rear, I place the jack under the centre of the cross member at the base of the rear of the cockpit (i.e, the one just behind the seats) and again using wooden pillows as protection, I put an axle stand either side right on the corner of the main bottom rail and it's join with the same cross member.

This results in a very stable platform and is how I finished the car after I had lowered it off the build stands when it was time to fit the engine.

When jacking the car, I always use a wooden block on the jack mount for protection - fussy or what?

:blush:

Exactly what I did and do. Two of my stands have V-shaped tops and I use a piece of 3x3 cut in half lengthways to make two V-shaped blocks.

The other pair have a U-shaped top and I made a length of wood the width of the car at the rear and attached two blocks to this at the outer ends. When offered up to the car, the resulting gap means the fuel and brake lines are not squashed.

You might find a jack is too deep to fit under front crossmember and a way round this is to roll the front wheels onto some packing pieces, but be careful that the car does not roll off, use some chocks too.

Kerry