Servicing the Westfield?

gregh

ok, I've had the car 2 months now, it was built in 1999, so I started thinking with the tin top after 2-3 years you would replace belts, do a major service etc?

What's the thinking on servicing Westfields? I intend to regulartly change the oil, but what else should I be doing and when?

Mine is a 1.8 Zetec, all info on it here:

My Westfield

cheers,

Greg

If it's a boggo Zetec, I'd follow the service intervals in the Ford manual. If it says cam belts every 3 years or 60,000 miles, there really isn't any reason why it should change on a Westfield. BUT, if you track day your car more than about 5 times a year, and/or the cam belt gets contaminated with oil or coolant (or any other contaminant) at any time, then more frequent changes would be in order. A cam belt is considerably cheaper than a new engine..............

Use the recommended (5W-30?) oil, and change it regularly, and certainly after every track day.

Renew plugs and clean/renew air filter once a year, unless you happen to live in an extremely dusty environment........

Can't think of anything else, engine wise, that would need attention, but a Zetec owner will be along shortly to shoot me down, no doubt..........  :devil:  :)

I've only had my Westie 3 months so am no expert at all. However, I recall the build manual stating that you should change the oil (engine, gearbox and diff) every 3000 miles. Is that really necessary. As the engine/box/diff is straight out of a Sierra (not quite I know) I wouldn't expect to change the oil that often - or at all for the gearbox/diff.

I know that the Westie is likely to be driven a bit harder than the standard Sierra but it's also a lot lighter so the loadings and stresses will be less.

Any sensible suggestions, tips, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Pete, IMHO like Blatman says, a lot depends on the usage of the vehicle. As for changing the oil in the diff and gearbox, IIRC that could be a lot of fun as the standard Sierra stuff dont have drain plugs!

Not only would you want to consider closing up the service intervals on a car that does a lot of trackday/race work, but also on a car that is very highly tuned, or only does only a few miles a year. Another important bit, just to reiterate what Blatman has said, cambelt life is on mileage or time, whichever comes first i.e. three years OR 60000 miles. Very few Westys will do that kind of mileage, but the cambelt will still deteriorate with age.