X-flow, Zetec swap

Neil Purdie

Todays rolling road session revealed that the sock type air filters are robbing my x-flow of 8 Bhp!!!  :arse:  This is probably because the sock is too short, 1/2 inch between sock and rampipe.  The socks are short because I didn't want to hack the bonnet to give the correct clearance.

OK I know the problem.  I will be changing to a large filter on a backing plate.  However before I go hacking the bonnet to give enough clearance for the filter to stick out, I have a question.  Will the filter position be different if ( IT'S FAST ENOUGH-NAG-NAG-NAG ) or when I swap to zetec?

Can anybody who has done the swap help.  Currently running DHLA 40s, would like zetec 2.0 with Webers or throttle bodies.

If you don't want to make holes before you swap to a Zetec the other option could be to get some shorter trumpets for the carbs. The socks will probably fit then. The best solution in the end will be to make the hole, as you'll also get a power increase by taking in cooler air.

I have used socks with shorter trumpets (on webers) and they were OK. Can't remember the trumpet size. 26mm rings a bell.

Kevin

My current trumpets are 18mm, I don't think I can go much shorter and still secure a filter correctly. It could be my inlet manifold is longer than some.

I still need to do some hacking.  8bhp is too much easy power to do nothing about .

If its a 2.o Zetec, I think the engine will be slightly longer, so the hole will have to be elongated at the front end, and probably a longer filter will be required for this anyway.

Cut the hole and worry later.

JL