Fuel lines (again!)

Still concerned about fuel lines:

I'm using a red top fuel pump i.e. high pressure, and was wondering what the best method for joining the rigid fuel line and flexible hose was.

From the manual, I get the impression that you just slide the steel pipe into the flexible hose and secure with a jubilee clip. However, I am doubtful this will hold (for long anyway! ). What sort of joins have other people used?

I would have thought the metal pipe should at least be flared so the clip has something to 'grip' onto....

Cheers,

- Dan

Had exactly the same worry on my Busa build - but so far no problems... although I've swapped the Westfield-supplied jubilee clips for proper petrol hose clips (from Vehicle Wiring Products). Demon Tweeks sell even nicer clips but they're not cheap.

Also make sure you've got plenty of fuel hose (marked 12 bar I think - needs to be fuel injection hose - most motor factors only sell low pressure carb hose).

Hope this helps! :)

Er, you don't need fuel injection hose unless you have fuel injection. The extra peace of mind is a consideration though.

On my sprint car, I used to run a red top pump using rubber and metal hoses, secured with nothing more than jubilee clips. The red top pump is only rated to about 8psi.

If you secure your water hoses with jubilee clips, why not fuel hoses? I reckon I know which one runs at a higher pressure............

Haxsaw, you've answered this one yourself. Use a flaring tool to put a bulge or semi flair on the rigid pipe end, ( just like a heater hose spigot). It will be so much more secure and well worth the extra/no cost effort. :) Brian.

Thanks all.

Just to be clear, I got both the steel pipe (8mm) & the flexible hose (8mm bore) from Westfield at the same time I bought the pump so I sincerely _hope_ it's correct :D

Any tips on flaring pipes without having to 'acquire' ;) a pipe flarer? (Yup, I'm still stingy :p)

red top pumps psi is well below the pressure the standard hose clip can hold,cooling systems run between 12 and 18 psi,and if the solid pipe had a flared end, you can double it no bother,so don't worry it will be fine. just for comparison my comprssion tester has rubber hose pushed over a solid shaft,secured by a platic cable tie, and just tested my compressions and got 200 psi and it never moved. :0