Clutch - Hydraulic

zvezdochka

I have just picked up new zetec and gearbox from Westfield. looks great, but clutch pipe was not available.  When it arrives, how do I fit it and how do I bleed the system.

Also flywheel is visible on opposite side to starter, should  I fit a dust cover?

I know it will be a while before I need to connect the clutch, but is it difficult?

This is I am sure the first of many questions. :)

Rick

I have just picked up new zetec and gearbox from Westfield. looks great, but clutch pipe was not available.  When it arrives, how do I fit it and how do I bleed the system.

You will need to make up a small bracket (I used aluminium sheet) to hold the junction of the flexible pipe to the fixed pipe and attach this to the bell housing using on of the housing to block bolts. See photo below:-

clutch.jpg

To bleed the system, you will find a square black rubber grommet on the lower half of near side of the bell housing and under this you will find the bleed nipple.

Also flywheel is visible on opposite side to starter, should  I fit a dust cover?

I made a cover for this out of aluminium sheet but subsequently removed it on the advice of Raceline when I installed my new sump. Apparently it is better to leave it open so that if anything gets in through the starter motor side, it has a way out too! My jury is still out on this one.

I know it will be a while before I need to connect the clutch, but is it difficult?

A doddle and trust me I was a real newbie when I fitted mine!. You connect the supplied flexible pipe with 'banjo' connection on one end (goes to the master cyclinder) and straight connector on the other through the bracket mentioned above and on to the solid hydraulic pipe sticking out of the bell housing.

To bleed the system, you will find a square black rubber grommet on the lower half of near side of the bell housing and under this you will find the bleed nipple.

Or.................

Remove the nipple altogether, and replace with a length of braided clutch/brake hose. At the slave cylinder end, you just screw it in (with the appropriate connector). At the other end, you fit a female bulkhead joint, like the one in the photo, into which you fit the bleed nipple. You can now fit the bleed nipple anywhere you like, again using a similar bracket to the one in the photo.

Voila....... No more grovelling about when you need to bleed the clutch................

My clutch bleed nipple is between the air filter and the steering column, attached to the block using a nice little bracket similar to Steppenwolfs. Have a look............ It's not a detailed pic, just a view under my bonnet. The bleed nipple is easily accessible, in the position mentioned.

Blatman,

Nice idea! But what's wrong with grovelling around in the dirt and mud under your car and getting an eyeful of hydraulic fluid? Isn't this what Westfield ownership is all about?

Actually, its my sadistic tendencies showing, I always get Steppenwolfess to do this sort of job leaving me more time for polishing and going over the car with a magnifying glass to make sure that there are no specks of dirt anywhere on top.

Messy business, best left to her .......  :cool: