Cycle Wings

DGRiley

I have recently bought an excellent Westy with swept wings and am seriously considering a mod to cycle wings. Is this expensive? Whats the best way to plug the holes that are left? Any recommendations on who can do a nice job on the mod in the Midlands area? I am NOT an engineer so will not be attempting this myself, I do not want to spoil a well built car!!

Just bought a Westy meself and concidering the same thing! Will be fitting my own soon as they arrive.

Going to cover holes with stickers "if all else fails!"

Only other thing would be to fill holes and paint, with such a small area to cover don't think it would stand out too much!?

Time will tell...

Gentlemen, use the search button and search all forums, all of your answers and more will be found there. There have been many replies to similar conversions on how to fill the holes, obtain the gelcoat, tips on usage etc.

Hope this helps, Stu.

Do the search for the full lowdown but to summarise.

You'll need:

Wing brackets - two types are available, the Westfield ones which need machining to fit and the type available from Plays Kool, Formula 27, Stuart Taylor etc which locate in the three bolt holes where the dust guard used to be. Be aware that some may require bending / powder coating to fit.

The Wings - Loads of choices, from about £19 each (Locost / Tiger / F27). I found the c******m ones the best value / quality compromise for about £35 each.

Lock stops - to stop the wings hitting the body work. Mine had these already so no advice I'm afraid.

Something to fill the holes left by the swept wings - the ideal thing is to fill and paint / coat but this isn't always easy. I don't think rivets look too bad for a cheap and cheerful solution as most cars have so many rivets and push studs already they wont look out of place.

The job from start to finish is easy and shouldn't take more than a weekend, getting it to look neat, particularly if the body work under your wings has had years of peppering with stones, may be harder.

Cool to watch the wings dancing about as the road rises and falls though and I can't imagine the increase in unsprung weight is serious enough to notice.

:)

My only advice would be to consider some form of mud flap on the bottom of the cycle wings.

These avoid some of the stone chips on the rear wings and save you face fulls of s**t when you are enjoying the country lanes, just after the cows have been in for milking.

These can be obtained from a supplier of gasket material in a range of colours & thicknesses and they will generaly cut to your template. :t-up: