Fuel pump & lines

Hello,

Easy question first: manual says to fit the fuel pump using the bracket in the diff bay but which side does the pump go? Should the pump be inside the diff bay or outside, effectively 'inside' the top wishbone?

Secondly, I was told I needed the red top fuel pump for a Zetec (even on carbs) by Westfield so I bought it and I'm now going to fit the fuel lines. I know I need a pressure regulator but would it be worth fitting a return fuel line now? (Or do I _have_ to fit a return line?)

Also, if I do fit a return line, would it be best to route it up the tunnel? I've put the brake line along the lower rail on the driver side & was going to put the fuel along the lower rail on the passenger side.

Would it be ok to fit the return line along the upper rail or am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks,

- Dan.

I think everything you say is sound, I take it that you are going to run carbs which means you don't actually need a return pipe, but you also seem to have the foresight to realise that it is so much easier to install a return line now as against later should you eventually decide to go for an injection system, The actual routing of the pipes is not critical but it would be normal to route fuel pipes side x side with double clips. Probably teaching you to suck eggs but be sure you fit a pressure reg for a carb system, (filter king unit?), with an additional filter, htis again assumes its a carb system ;)  ;) Brian.

I have fitted my fuel pump on the outside of the diff bay as it seemed easier to route the fuel pipe as per the westfield manual.  However it may be different if you are putting it inside the tunnel.

The only problem I have heard is that some inspectors(SVA) are keen that the fuel lines are well secured away from the half shafts which seems eminentliy sensible.  In addition to this I have used braided hose for the connection from tank to pump and pump to fuel pipe.  I have been a little concerned about ensuring that the fuel line in to the pump has no high spots so that in the event of accidentally running out of fuel then there is no air lock to contend with.  The manual states that the pump must not be run without fuel and this seems reasonable as is the only cooling/lubrication that the pump has.  Not that petrol or ULSD has much lubrication.

( memo to self - must start talking about work at work (oil refinery) and talk about westfields via website and not vice versa).    :sheep: