Steering Column

Howard

Me again.

The Westfield build manual says to use an Allegro steering column. This is probably for reasons established years ago but SVA compliance indicates the need for a collapsible column. Westfield have got round this by using a collapsible boss but I was wondering about using a more modern and available Sierra column with a collapsible section like 'my mate' did on his Locost (can I say that word here?).

Has anybody else fitted a steering column other than an Allegro item and is there anything to watch out for. Or, should I just do it by the book?

Go by the book. Westfield have had their cars crash tested, so you can be sfe in the knowledge that should you be misfortunate, the likelyhood of being impaled by BL's finest is slim. To fit another column other than specified will mean welding of brackets, steering shaft mods etc which hasnt been crash tested. It is the UJs within the shaft which provide the collapsibility.