Duratec alias (Durabang)???

RoadRunner999

Apologies in advance if this sounds like a stupid newbie question.

Why are Duratec engines so often referred to as 'Durabangs'? Is this a derogatory or complimentary pseudonym?

I have googled and searched WSCC FAQ's to no avail.

Is it because you get more bang for your buck  :D or because they go bang when pushed  :down: ?

Thanks guys  :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikpro

• stephenh

• CedricTheBrave

• SteveD

:sheep:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

> RR999 - there is nothing wrong with the Duratec engines, it's just a term used like 'boat anchor' for Pinto engines and 'oil slick old nail' for xflows  :D  ;)

It is a slur on Duratecs IMHO, invariably used by those who haven't got a Duratec :D  :D  :D  :D

It is a slur on Duratecs IMHO, invariably used by those who haven't got a Duratec :D  :D  :D  :D

Sounds about right.

- From what i can tell and what i know of it, actually, the durafeck is a cracking piece of engine. Even if the exhaust is on the wrong side, and the bolt pattern not that of a ford engine. (it being a mazda egnine by ancestry)  

Daniel

Take no notice.

As stephenh said its just jealousy from people with one or more engine types below :

less powerful

more expensive

heavier

;-)

Steve

P.S. You won't need 3 guesses on which engine I'm running  :p

Unless it's an atmo Cossie in which case it's not much heavier, a whole load more powerful, and cheaper. And you don't get to say "cheaper" about Cossies very often :p

I wonder if I suggest the new name of Duraturd, will it catch on? :0:devil::D

Unless it's an atmo Cossie in which case it's not much heavier, a whole load more powerful, and cheaper. And you don't get to say "cheaper" about Cossies very often :p

I wonder if I suggest the new name of Duraturd, will it catch on? :0:devil::D

good job I'm at work and new keyboards are as cheap as chips now!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

its all relative, older and out of date items will always be cheaper :)

and iirc 22kg is quite a lot heavier !!

2.0ltr duratec isn't that much lighter than the Zetec.

The all alloy construction is sales hype - the weight of an engine comes from the internals and cylinder head.

An alloy block has to be cast thick to stand the stresses so the block itself isn't hugely different in weight. (Pick up a bare cast iron block and you will realise there isn't massive amounts of weight to be saved)

If the internals are the same size; i.e. 2.0ltr for 2.0ltr, then again there isn't a huge amount of weight to be saved on individual components.

If you strip a Duratec it looks 'all race' inside but this is just for show.

Tuning a Duretec to 220bhp will cost slightly more than a zetec.

The 2.0ltr Duratec has more potential than the Zetec but tuning above 230bhp becomes very,very expensive!

Durabang comes from the idea that they are always blowing up when tuned - in standard form they are bullet proof but when tuned they have a propensity to go wrong when used on track unless moified by a very good engine builder.

If you strip a Duratec it looks 'all race' inside but this is just for show

that has to be the funniest quote I have heard for ages. the internals of a Duratec engine are designed for show! come on

looks and designed are totally different things  :)