What wheels to fit?

Mickie C

I am looking to fit a set of 13" wheels to my 90SE standard body car and am looking for a bit of advice as to what style to go for.  Does anyone have any suggestions to what looks good?  

Are 6X13" the ones to go for with 185/60R13 tyres?  Probably going to go for Yokohama A539's.

Does anyone know of a reputable supplier that will mail order to Glasgow?

and if he hasn't got any speak to George Polley motorsport as they are renowned Yokohama importers and can do KN Minators at about £50 or Compomotive MLs (race spec ie. stronger) at £75 website  ;)

mickie c,

agree with above about minilite 13" alloys.do not mean to be rude but the wheels on the pic do nowt for your car,go for all gold or all black,I had 7 x 15 & changed to 6 x 13 with yoko ao32r...best thing I have ever done ;)

look forward to seeing your new avatar with proper size wheels :t-up:  :t-up:

• 3 weeks later...

Just put the new wheels on the car - 6x13" KN Minator in silver and black.  New avatar should now work.  Very happy with them, just need to go for a drive now and see what effect they have on the handling.

mickie c,

agree with above about minilite 13" alloys.do not mean to be rude but the wheels on the pic do nowt for your car,go for all gold or all black,I had 7 x 15 & changed to 6 x 13 with yoko ao32r...best thing I have ever done ;)

look forward to seeing your new avatar with proper size wheels :t-up:  :t-up:

Will

Can you enlighten me as to why changing from 15" to 13" wheels is such a good idea....?

And does it apply to road use, or is biggest benefit on track?

Cheers

Chris

Unsprung weight - 15" wheels are a lot heavier than 13" ones - 16kg vs. 10kg in my case - and you really can feel the difference, even on the road.

The car doesn't seem to crash over bumps as much, it's more responsive on turn in, it's easier to get the back end out  :D  :D  and the car just generally feels more alive - very subjective that last one, but it's the only way I can describe it.

Since putting 13" wheels on, I can genuinely say I feel more comfortable doing silly things with the car than I ever did with the bigger wheels.  OK, other things have changed too, but back to back comparisons reveal a noticable difference.

That said, 15" are fine for the road (more ground clearance for one !!;).

Hmm - thanks Nick, food for thought.

The point about ground clearance probably swings it in favour of staying with what I've got (never mind any financial implications  ;) ).

With the car's current set-up I have found that speed bumps are no problem - well the ones leading into our cul-de-sac anyway - and also, given the state of some of the local roads, a few more inches  :0 can't be a bad thing.

The tail comes out quite nicely as it is (may mate will vouch for that - "whoa" grabs for non-existent grab handle!!;).

But thanks for the enlightenment!!

:love:

13" rims can be found second hand for between £100 and £150 if you have a look around....  ;)

Seriously, try a set at a track day or borrow some from someone for a weekend and you'll be surprised at the difference.  I know I was.

chrisbin now how much better does that look!,sorry for slow reply & thanks nick m(thats what i would have said honest!!;)

ffw-basically "NO GET RID OF EM AS QUICK AS YOU CAN"

I suppose theres one good thing with those size wheels"you wont have to jack up the car to do any work underneath it"

:D  :D  :D

will