• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

7" vs 7.5"

pants

Hi

after confirmation that the 7.5" diff from a scorpio will fit in the westy, can anyone tell me if its any heavier than the 7" and if so by how much?

Also would it deffinetly be 7.5", as i did not measure it - no comments!!:blush:

Would i be better off getting one from a sierra at 7"

Does anyone know of a website with the different ratios which run lsd etc?

Cheers

Pants

AFAIK, only the XR4x4 has an LSD (a 3.62) as standard.

I can't imagine the difference in weight, if there is any, would be something you could discern from the driving seat..........

The way I would do it would be get a XR4x4 LSD diff and send it to Phil Road and Race Trans and about £200 and he will send it back with a 3.92 ratio in it and fully serviced his Phone number is on my web pages [i think or search for it]

Its not the only way but a good way.

Paul.

Never said it wasn't, but does it make a sufficient difference to the cars handling/dynamics/overall weight, to make the 7 incher *that* much better?

Don't know but it is bigger and heavier and I belive it going in a BEC so every little helps or he would have bought a Heavy VX engine :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sorry got carried away been out in the car for a good blast.

Paul.

how much bigger can half an inch be?  Is it also longer, is it thicker casting (can soon get an angle grinder to it) or is it the internal parts bigger

There must be loads of normal diffs about in the scrap yard to compare it with it has a bigger rear cover/end plate heavier crown wheel and the mounting is different at the front end but it can be made to fit.

Paul.

Also would it deffinetly be 7.5", as i did not measure it - no comments!!

Would i be better off getting one from a sierra at 7"

If it was out of a 2.9 Granny then it will be 7.5. 4x4 Grannys had 7 inch diff. If it was an 'optional extra' fitment it could be either.

AFAIK, only the XR4x4 has an LSD (a 3.62) as standard.

XR4x4, all Cossie variants, 2000E Sierra, 2.9 Granada/Scorpio had them as standard. Usually its 4x4's found in the breakers though!

Also fitted as an optional extra to quite a few other model variants always worth looking at them all if they have rear discs fitted. Various ratio's to be had too, all the info is in the build manual (or used to be).

If it is a 7.5 LSD, and you want a 7 inch, you will be able to flog the 7.5 no probs, as they are in demand by the 'monster-power' boys. Quite probably Phil at Road and Race Trans would buy it off you!

Westfieldman2002 what does the 200 quid get you? Is it just a service or will it be a recon?

I have a standard diff at moment and just tiring to work out the best value

Be careful on what ratio diff you end up with..... a 3.97:1 ratio on a Megablade will get you a relatively low top end and wasted gearing - you'll be through 1st and 2nd before you hit 60 (or just about) with a lower ratio the car should get you all the way to around 50 in first.

Try for a lower ratio, 3.38 or 3.36(LSD). There is an engine speed/road speed calculator on the Yahoo BEC group (but remember that the final drive from the engine is something like 1.5:1 from memory, so you have to correct it (unless it's been fixed since I last looked at it).

Long story short: 3.97:1 + 13" wheels = 'low' top end and wasted gearing, 3.3x:1 + 13" wheels = higher top end and astonishingly good gearing :D .

I think some other mega owners are running with 3.62 diffs but don't know if this is good or not - I only have experience of 3.97 & 3.36. However Mr. Yupright has a Freelander diff with an even lower ratio (3.1x ?).

Regards

John