My first time

jimbo22

Hello All

After 13 years of riding motorbikes (and nearly killing myself on numerous occasions in the process) I'm now looking at transferring to four wheels.

So obviously a second hand Westfield is on the horizon as I have a certain penchant for trackdays. I just generally want to know what they are like to live with? Can I drive it to track, thrash it for four hours, drive it home and then put it away or do I need to be hugely mechanically minded and spend hours under the bonnet every weekend? Can I use it to blat around Sussex on a sunny Sunday?

I've got about £10 to £12k to play with and am thinking about a 2 ltr Vx engined SEiW with IRS, LSD and a decent suspension set up. Is this realistic?

As you can see I'm really looking for general advice so absolutely any would be greatly appreciated. I've already put my cheque in the post so hope to see some of you guys at a meet soon.

BTW How different are Westfields and C******m's really?? And why is the latter so much more bl*ddy expensive??? ???

I've been using my car for hillclimbs this year and did several track days last year in it. For some of these I trailered the car due to the distance and needing to take tools/spares etc. but I have driven it over 100 miles, competed and then driven home with no problems. It helps to have some mechanical knowledge but this can be acquired during your ownership.

My car (1800 Zetec on twin 45DCOEs, Quaife s/c c/r box and LSD, race seats and harnesses, 2 sets of wheels/tyres) may be up for sale in the very near future as I might be going 'single seater' next year and as I'm in Sussex (Horsham) you're welcome to have a look/chat about it -  send me an email if you do.

Pete

Check the regs on single seater use for hillclimbs and sprints. The MSA have changed the rules very recently. You will need to be in possession of a Speed National 'A' Open, or a Race National 'A' licence to be allowed to drive a single seater (manufactured after 31/12/1960) of over 2000cc in competitive events from January 2003 unless the car is road legal in every respect...............

That means that Jedi's, OMS', and single seaters under 2000cc can still be used on non race licences. Just thought you'd like to know in case you're about to buy a Pilbeam or something................

Just thought you'd like to know in case you're about to buy a Pilbeam or something................

Oooh that'd be nice!! but no sadly I can't quite stretch to 50 grand or more...it's actually a GSXR1100 (watercooled) powered single seater (but not a Jedi or OMS  ;) ) - still only about 2-3 secs off the pace of the big cars though  :p  and I should be upgrading my licence to 'A' next year with luck anyway  :cool:

Jimbo,

I reckon you can do what you want within your budget, I just did the same thing, and apart from the exhaust falling off on my 1st track day it's looking good.

Make sure you get the RAC roll bar, the standard one is as good as a chocie tea pot!

regards,

Greg