Hydraulic clutches

My ali panels came with all holes pre-drilled, which means I've got a hole for a hydraulic clutch.  :arse:

Can these be fitted with MT75 gearboxes and what would be the advantage?

Thanks,

- Dan.

I wondered the same thing and as far as I can see it is just more pipebending to complete which I didn't fancy.  Plus my gearbox used a cable.

Hole is now covered by a small piece of ali sheet liberated from work.

I have an MT75 gearbox and hydraulic clutch. As far as I know the only advantage is a lighter clutch foot effort and no clutch cable to wear out! Certainly my clutch feels great in comparison with the several cable clutch versions I have driven.

To my way of thinking, a hydraulic clutch is only really needed when you get into the realms of *serious* clutches that need run with lots of pressure in the cover plate (crap description, but you know what I mean).  To use a normal release bearing and cable would a) mean it's hard work and b) prone to failures e.g. release bearing, cable.

With a normal gearbox, clutch and flywheel there's no great advantage or disadvantage either way, apart from the rather obvious one of cost (hydraulic being more expensive).

If you go to Titan direct, hydraulic clutch mechs will be ~£45 (they are the ones the likes of Burton buy and sell on). It's self adjusting and just needs the appropriate master cylinder.

Having changed to a hydraulic clutch, (7.25" clutch), there is no way I would build another car with the usual cable / rod arangement.

Hydraulic clutch is fit and forget.. no messing about adjusting cables etc, adjustment is all automatic.  re the comment about leaks, they are no different to your hydraulic brake lines and therefore if installed correclty there is no reaosn for them to leak. Hopefully.........

cheers

mark

Mark,

You'd need cables from a suspension bridge to operate your clutch !!  No wonder you prefer the hydraulic one !  I thought you'd fitted a foot rest in place of the clutch pedal for a minute !!  :0  ;)

nick,

A smaller master cylinder is the answer, or find a road with no traffic so you dont have to push it.    ;)

Still easier IMHO

cheers

mark