What is it with Morgan drivers ???

Stueyboy

As the weather has been nice, the number of seven-ish cars on the road has increased accordingly. We get all sorts down my way (herts. beds. cambs.) and I was just wondering if what I am observing is a local or widespread phenomena.

I noticed when I first got my westie on the road that most drivers of sevenish persuasion seem to acknowledge each other with a wave on the road. Very nice I thought, so I did the same. But Morgan drivers seem to avoid doing this.

Why is this? Are we beneath them and their wooden wonders? Are they embarrased? or is it something else? Answers on a postcard please

Stu

Seems some do, some don't.  I often get acknowledged by elise drivers, almost all sevenish (sometimes there's a bit too much happening for us to see each other in time).  Most vintage vehicle drivers seem quite friendly.

Being in the Morgan OC myself (but not actually owning a Morgan) I must defend them and say what a nice lot of people they are...but they aren't "car" people. At a "Noggin",as they call their club nights, the talk is not of Tyres, engines and the like but of restaurants, theatre and holidays. So don't missjudge them, they just don't know .... ???

I was in the classic car scene for ten years with a rover 3.5 coupe and got to meet Morgan "moggy" owners.

They are a nice bunch but consist of two types,

1 The very very rare ones that use their moggy on a regular basis come rain or shine.

2 The ones who spend all year polishing them so that when they eventually get round to driving them its such an unusual experience that they havent a clue whats going on around them.

At the meetings most of the topic is `how many decades they had their names on the waiting list`

ps has anyone ever been in one? if you think westfields are bone shakers, try a moggy! how they handle at all is a complete mystery, downright bl**** dangerous things.

Paul

:0

My father was a M*rgan owner/driver for more years than I care to remember; both car and man expiring on the same day in a particularly unpleasant crash. Throughout his years of driving, dad refused to have anything to do with other M*rgan drivers(oxymoron) because, he claimed,  99% of them were closet homosexuals and communists. How, or why he came to this vitriolic point of view is a mystery  he took to his grave although it might well explain why M*rgan Owners don’t wave to us Westfield drivers. The question is, do they wave at Catterh*ms….

The reason they never wave is that they can't see you as they always drive with their hoods on.

I don't think I've ever seen a Morgan on the road that had it's top down. I suppose it's to stop the wig blowing off.  :D  :D

:sheep:

...I suppose it's to stop the wig blowing off

There will be he*l toupee if a Morgan driver reads that….

…sorry, I'll get my coat.

I took a Morgan owner out one day, and he did seem a little surprised that whilst passing the "Reduce Speed Now" sign before roundabout we were still flat in top. By the time it was time to brake (just past 100 yd board, you know the sort of thing) he was virtually apoplectic & trying to climb out. I subscribe to the 'don't understand' theory. :p

On nice sunny mornings be they warm or cold, i often drive to work in the westfield and meet up with a morgan owner in the traffic queue to join the ring road.

i have always found him very friendly as we discuss how lucky we are not to be stuck in one of the tin tops surrounding us.

Regarding driving with the hood up. I propose a motion that anyone found driving a convertable car in warmish dry weather with the hood up should have the car confiscated and replaced with a mondeo.

I have a friend at work who drives a Morgan with no hood, and just wind deflectors throughout the year, whatever the weather.  He carries an umbrella to put up at junctions though.  

Rolled it a couple of years ago as well.  No roll bar.  Ouch.

It's got one now after the rebuild!

Regarding driving with the hood up. I propose a motion that anyone found driving a convertable car in warmish dry weather with the hood up should have the car confiscated and replaced with a mondeo.

I could never understand why people spend thousands extra on having a 'rag-top' version, only to drive it round with the hood up even though a flick of a switch is all thats needed to remove/replace the hood (in most cases). Curiosity finally got the better of me when witnessing such a car pull in to a petrol station. When I asked the driver why he hadnt got the roof down in such good weather, he replied "if I put the hood down the air-con isnt as good."

Oh well.    :D  :arse:  :p  :cool:

I must apologise to a old couple driving a morgan down an essex road when I overtook them at twice there speed.  I though they were going to fall off the road they were so shocked as I went past...sorry :blush:

I was out this weekend ( in the rain! ) and saw a dax, a fellow westfielder, a c******m and a morgan driver...  the dax driver waved, the westy flashed ( his lights before you ask! ) and caterhamer kinda nodded ( we were passing in opposite directions in a fast corner! )  :D  :D and the morgan driver? Nothing.

I flashed, and waved with both hands too, I was having such a good time ( driving before someone picks up on that one too! )   :D  :D  :D