Carbon Dash - IVA

TIG Brother

The dash uses the exact same shape and radius as the Westfield dash (for compatibility) but because the OEM dash has a slightly padded vinyl on it, it is regarded differently by the inspectors to a carbon dash.

It is regarded differently, because the Westfield dash meets the minimum radius requirement! :D

Foam pipe lagging taped on with insulation tape will get it through ;-)

No it won't ;) You would have had a hard job convincing most examiners if you pitched up like that for an SVA - the IVA test is even more 'anti-bodge' - have a read of the Forword section in the front of the IVA manual...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• TIG Brother

• dombanks

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Thanks for that Matt, as said before i didnt expect it to pass i was just wondering if any one had any luck / slack inspector who passed it any way.

By the sounds of it Adam these would have passed an SVA but now with IVA they wont. but at least you know before you get there.

Ah just guessed that it would have been the local test station to you, as i am also going there having lived on L.V myself ;)

On another note, has any one got a viynl dashboard crash pad they want to sell, as i cannot currently post in the wanted section yet  :bangshead:

Yeah that's the problem in taking almost five years to build it. Pity the rules are based on the date when the chassis was made. I've had to re-work several items now.

I had toyed with the idea of going to a test centre further away so that I could have an excuse to drive a further distance but I am just going to trailer it now so the closer the better  :)

looks nice adam :) wayyy smart

im glad a few others have said about the foam pipe insulation. at my sva the guy was VERY clear about it. if he saw it it would fail. also gaffa tape,

i'd failed on emissions already so he didnt play on it but pointed it out. They looked very dimply on it. specifically i had taped some rubber pipe over the track rod end, it would have failed onthat but if id used the same pipe and used tiewraps then it wouldnt fail.

as a basic rule pipe lagging and gaffa tape is not good.

The (SVA) tester, as he was doing my test, explained that they look for the sort of materials/practices used on a production car. So proper rubber trim, or carpet, vinyl etc. to cover a surface, fixed with proper fasteners, if it may need to be removed for inspection, glue if not, were acceptable. But any old tat, gaffertaped in place wasn't.

My SVA guy passed my Fluke dash with a simple 90deg radius at the bottom, not the required 180deg which seems to be required now (and Fluke have now changed their design).

His reasoning was if you managed to hit the bottom of the dash with your head or chest whilst wearing a 4 point harness you'll have bigger stuff to worry about!

I wouldn't get through with the same dash now though.

My SVA guy passed my Fluke dash with a simple 90deg radius at the bottom, not the required 180deg which seems to be required now (and Fluke have now changed their design).

There isn't (and never has been) anything in the manual(s) on how much of the dash should actually be radiused, only the minimum radius requirement itself. However having the dash 'turn' to at least horizontal seems to please most :t-up:

TBH your SVA man seemed to be missing the point somewhat. If you hit your head or chest on the bottom of the dash wearing *any* kind of restraint (or not), you have DEFINATELY got bigger things to worry about! :bangshead:  :suspect:  :D

It more to do with your knees hitting the dash - and that is possible whatever type of harness you are wearing. ;)

if you managed to hit the bottom of the dash with your head or chest

Probably a good clue that you're sitting the wrong way up.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

What if you were to cover your carbon dash with padded vinyl before the IVA? Would it then be treated the same as the OEM one? Would there be any issues with doing this?

Clearly you wouldn't remove it shortly after the test and I'm not suggesting that this is what I might do with mine.

Or, will Adam Reeves's solution be enough?

• 4 weeks later...

Foam pipe lagging taped on with insulation tape will get it through ;-)

No it won't ;) You would have had a hard job convincing most examiners if you pitched up like that for an SVA - the IVA test is even more 'anti-bodge' - have a read of the Forword section in the front of the IVA manual...

LOL! My Westfield supplied carbon dash failed SVA in 2004 due to the radius on the bottom. According to my man it was something like 18.95mm not 19mm  :D It wasn't the only one either when I spoke to Westfield. As they said, they all come out of the same mold so it's a bit odd that some fail and others don't  ???

I have no doubt that IVA is more anti-bodge but the SVA bloke was happy with my taped on pipe lagging... ok, it was a bit more sophisticated than that but not much, bit of waste pipe cut in half, covered in foam and sticky back plastic, screwed to the bottom of the dash - holes are still there now but not visible.

I'm sure the idea of covering the dash in vinyl would be fine just so long as you can get it off aftwards! Nice washable glue would work...

• 8 months later...

for the track rod ends a suitable piece of rubber pipe held in place with sturdy tie wraps should be ok. it was for my SVA the second time around after he had told me off for attaching it with tape.  i think i used a piece of water hose. whatever they were they are still on there now :)

not sure on your arb, if its fine without it on then it might just be easier to remove it. i specifically went with no screen/areo screen on the car for that reason. the sva guy commented as such saying it was a good idea as it reduced the amount of stuff that it could fail on.

so what is now an acceptable solution to thinks like track rod ends anf the FARB or should i just remove that for the test?

For my IVA last week I used a cut up bicycle inner tube to cover my track rod ends, held on with 2 tie wraps. The tester was very happy with that solution.

My carbon dash is the same as Adams and I also used the same trim that he did for the bottom edge and again the IVA tester was happy.

For the FRB, you could probably use the bicycle inner tube solution on any part that they can get the small testing sphere into.