Carbon Dash - IVA

TIG Brother

Right guys

little quickie, i have a carbon mods dash but i have read here and there that these may not pass an IVA due to the radius at the bottom of the dash being the right size.

now who has had their car pass with a carbon dash on, or has every one played it safe with a standard dash first? or added some 'stuck on' additions to the carbon dash just to get it to pass?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• TIG Brother

• dombanks

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

12 Interior Fittings

7. The instrument panel lower edge within the “specified zone” must have a radius of curvature not less than 19mm or 5mm and covered with a non-rigid material.

If the radius of the bottom edge is greater than 19mm then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, but to be on the safe side you could always stick some self adhesive foam to the bottom edge.

i may be wrong but i thought reasoning behind the "non rigid part" meant you ended up with the padded one and therfore it was a little soft.... just in case you hit your head or summat??

depends on how fussy the inspector is but no the carbon mods dash should not pass sva/iva.

mine failed sva due to it, put THIS on mine and it passed.

sticky foam is also a fail

cheers guys, im currently making a dash to foam fill and vinyl cover just to be on the safe side,just thoughtif i could find a way to get through with the carbon one on it would save some time,

depends on how fussy the inspector is but no the carbon mods dash should not pass sva/iva.

mine failed sva due to it, put THIS on mine and it passed.

sticky foam is also a fail

Just saw this post. I am about to submit my forms for the IVA very soon and was wondering about my Carbonmods dash, I was under the impression it would pass but then when I read the IVA guide and it said 19mm radius I suspected it would fail  :angry: Guys  :down: Adam can you post up a photo showing the bottom edge of your dash  ???

i was keeping my eyes open for how you would get on with your dash and the IVA adam, and was hoping you would come back and say it has passed

Adam can you post up a photo showing the bottom edge of your dash  

no photos sorry but it will look the same as yours :laugh: as the trim was removed after sva. :p

Adam can you post up a photo showing the bottom edge of your dash  

no photos sorry but it will look the same as yours :laugh: as the trim was removed after sva. :p

Oh okay. I'll order some. Cheers.  ;)

should hazard a guess that you are taking yours to Leighton buzzard Adam?

Hi TIGbrother, the dash would not pass IVA without some foam trim on it. The dash uses the exact same shape and radius as the Westfield dash (for compatibility) but because the OEM dash has a slightly padded vinyl on it, it is regarded differently by the inspectors to a carbon dash. We found this out maybe a year or more ago (most dashes we sell are as replacements for already registered cars) and since they we've had a not on the dashboard page on our site that tries to explain this.

Foam pipe lagging taped on with insulation tape will get it through ;-)

I hope this clears things up.

All the best, Matt

i don't think it will, you want something more permanent than pipe lagging.

Hi TIGbrother, the dash would not pass IVA without some foam trim on it. The dash uses the exact same shape and radius as the Westfield dash (for compatibility) but because the OEM dash has a slightly padded vinyl on it, it is regarded differently by the inspectors to a carbon dash. We found this out maybe a year or more ago (most dashes we sell are as replacements for already registered cars) and since they we've had a not on the dashboard page on our site that tries to explain this.

I hope this clears things up.

All the best, Matt

Erm. Left a little unimpressed as I specifically asked if the dash would be SVA compliant when I ordered it. This dash was to replace my fluke one which I found out would not pass.

I was one of the first to purchase the dash so guess you'd thought it was then.

(adamnreeves @ Jan. 26 2010,17:17)

Thanks for that Matt, as said before i didnt expect it to pass i was just wondering if any one had any luck / slack inspector who passed it any way.

By the sounds of it Adam these would have passed an SVA but now with IVA they wont. but at least you know before you get there.

Ah just guessed that it would have been the local test station to you, as i am also going there having lived on L.V myself ;)

On another note, has any one got a viynl dashboard crash pad they want to sell, as i cannot currently post in the wanted section yet  :bangshead: