• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Fuel Consumption?

Hanslow

Jim

I got my westie tuned by Rob at pro-tune in Barnet. He had it for a little over a week and did a nice job. I was having trouble with my cold start and was low on power overall. He said it was running so rich that it was getting choked at high revs. He had it on a rolling road and tweaked the ECU plenty. Nice raise in HP and so much torque now that the back end twitches when I change up into 4th. Not sure if that's normal but it never used to do that, so I'm happy with the improvement.

Would thouroughly recommend pro-tune. I Have an Accord Type R as a tin-top and the westie out performs it and out-mpg's it now

Stu

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JimNoble

• Hanslow

• Matt Seabrook

• Stueyboy

My Westie has a Vauxhall 2.0 8V with throttle boddies that returns around 22MPG. 15 ish if really blasting, which is most of the time. Got to go the sun is shining and the road is calling.

I have the "long range" fuel tank on my V8 which is 36 litres (8 gallons). Even when filling up from empty, the moset I've ever got in there is about 32 litres, so there's always a bit left.

I can do at least 150 miles road driving on a tank regardless of how mad I drive it, so that means the minimum is about 18.75 MPG. If I am "careful" about how I drive it I can get 190 miles, which is about 23.75 MPG. You can probably get more if you drive real slow, but then what's the point ? Track days are another matter, and I got about 100 miles on the tank, but you can never run it very low due to fuel surge. I expect it was about 10-15MPG max around Mallory.

The power of the engine and the gearing means you are hardly doing any revs, so when maintaining a steady cruising speed it's just ticking over. For example, in 5th gear at 4,000 RPM you can easily sustain 110MPH. Around town you can keep it under 2,000 RPM and still find you have to keep braking !

I found my old tuned 1700 Xflow on twin 40's was consuming in the low 20's!!! Well must admit was caning the thing abit!

Cant comment about my R1 yet, although have been told if driven moderatley it will be in the 40's!!  :0  :p  ;)

Jim

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have the standard MBE ECU which Westfield put in their zetecs. They set them up to run rich for running in purposes (well that's what mine was like). I took it to pro-tune to get it up to expected power for that engine (i.e 155 BHP instead of 130 which was what I was getting). Rob completely re-mapped the chip and got me the extra 25 BHP which made it run leaner, hence better fuel economy.

Now I have a dilema. He reckons that he can easily get 200 BHP out of it AND I saw a lovely bespoke exhaust system on a 2l Zetec while I was there and my Westfield pea-shooter exhaust is starting to rattle a bit. Ho-hum, I hope next years bonus is good. The wife's agreed (in kind) to letting me spend it on the special things I now need.

Jim

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have the standard MBE ECU which Westfield put in their zetecs. They set them up to run rich for running in purposes (well that's what mine was like). I took it to pro-tune to get it up to expected power for that engine (i.e 155 BHP instead of 130 which was what I was getting). Rob completely re-mapped the chip and got me the extra 25 BHP which made it run leaner, hence better fuel economy.

Now I have a dilema. He reckons that he can easily get 200 BHP out of it AND I saw a lovely bespoke exhaust system on a 2l Zetec while I was there and my Westfield pea-shooter exhaust is starting to rattle a bit. Ho-hum, I hope next years bonus is good. The wife's agreed (in kind) to letting me spend it on the special things I now need.

Cool. Is your car more than 12 months old, or did you have to sign away your warranty to get the ECU pin?

200bhp from a 1.8? How?!  :)

Surely if Westfield advertise the speedsport as being 155bhp, it ought to make 155bhp with the map they supply...? :angry:

Jim

Surely if Westfield advertise the speedsport as being 155bhp, it ought to make 155bhp with the map they supply...?

Ha ha ha ha ha...this is the funniest thing I've read in ages...  :D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p

He reckons that he can easily get 200 BHP out of it

How easy? what's he talking about doing, re-working the head & new cams?

AND I saw a lovely bespoke exhaust system on a 2l Zetec

Hid he say how much?

I've a 2L Z-tec on 3d ignition & 45's with kent cam FZ2002-Supersports and I get 182bhp crank 166bhp at the wheels! :D

Are you running throttle bodies?

200bhp from a 1.8? How?!  

Chat to Paul Dunnell he is building supplying a 200+ 1800cc Zetec on carbs for a friend of mine. Just a ported head cams valve springs and the pistons will need to have pockets machined in them. The last one we know of that was done to this spec on an 1800cc made 208bhp :0 not bad for an engine that is not ment to make good power and that was with a standard bottom end (just up rated rod bolts). :0  :0 Try doing that with a K. :D  :D All this and 20Kg less that a Vx  :)

So, let me quantify "easily get 200BHP" by quoting Rob ... "you can always get more horsepower, it just depends how much you want to spend"  :p

The 2L zetec I saw was running at about 185BHP. The exhaust system looked meaty and was a bespoke build by pro-tune which could be re-packed. It was a bit bigger bore than the standard and he reckoned about £900 for the whole thing.

While I'm here I thought I would hijack the forum by mentioning that I put green stuff pads on the front of my westie and it stops a dream. The front locks up just before the rear and there is quite a good amount of feel to them.

Anyway, one interesting thing that pro-tune were saying was that once you start pushing the 200+ barrier on a zetec, they drill out the holes for the plugs so that they can put vauxhall plugs in the place of ford ones. Apparently they are better for >200 BHP action.

News to me.

Stu

Stueyboy I have a 210+ Bhp 2000cc Zetec on Zetec plugs and this according to Dunnell on throttle bodies is milade road with standard valve sizes 220+ is easy. Read Car and Car Conversions this month page 101 you can see my engine featured. This is a mild conversion. 250bhp is getable from a Zetec without going really mad. It just seems that Zetec owner dont go as made as Vx owners. ;)

200bhp from a 1.8? How?!  

Chat to Paul Dunnell he is building supplying a 200+ 1800cc Zetec on carbs for a friend of mine. Just a ported head cams valve springs and the pistons will need to have pockets machined in them.

Ah, so it's not really a 1.8 anymore then...  ;)

Ah, so it's not really a 1.8 anymore then

Piston pockecet make no difference to engine capacity ;)