Fuel Consumption?

Hanslow

I'm curious to know what sort of fuel consumption you guys are getting based on what engine. Not a major factor in choosing the car (and won't be in my choice due to limited use).

Anybody got any figures for V8s, 2.0 Vaux, 1.8/2.0 Zetec, and all the others ;)

For a beginner, which would you say would be the better engine to work with? Is the V8 a lot more complicated than the straight 4s? Love the sound of the V8, but want the most practical when we purchase :)

Thanks  :love:

Steve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JimNoble

• Hanslow

• Matt Seabrook

• Stueyboy

I have not been on any long runs with throttle bodies on but I have had 37mpg with a 2000cc Zetec producing 210bhp @ the flywheel. 26-28mpg when it was on carbs. ;)

2.0l Vx, on injection, 190ish bhp.......

over 40mpg on a run, late 20's early 30's around town, drops to high teens/low twenties when really ragging it (sprints).

2.0l NA Cossie, 45's on "clockwork" Lumenition, 200ish bhp (when "tested") mid to high 20's on a run, low 20's around town, around 4-6mpg :0 when sprinting/track daying........

Finding a car with 3D mapped ignition or fuel injection would be good thing.........

1800 Zetec on Throttle Bodies with about 155 BHP general driving I regularly get  28 MPG. Have never checked on a long run or whilst on the circuit although I know that comsumption goes up dramatically on the track!!

2.0 Vauxhall XE, twin 45's and a dodgy distributor - about 20mpg. If and when the weather improves I'll think about 3d ignition to fix both problems :)

Have the same 1800 zetec as Steve

Before tuning - 30 mpg if driving sensibly

After tuning - Looking like I'm getting around 40 mpg

Astonishing really considering how much more power I got

:0

My Golf V5 daily driver seems to be averaging about 20-25mpg  :(

One more reason to drive the Westfield instead  :D

What "tuning" have you done?

Jim

Haven't got a Westie yet  :blush: but trying to find reasons to choose V8 over straight 4, and vice versa ;)

Main reason for V8, sound :D. Don't know if they are more complicated though (assume so) and was also wondering if they drink petrol as if it was going out of fashion. The intention is to use the Westie for weekend and track (ab)use so petrol wouldn't be a major factor due to limited use.

I think I will end up with a 2.0 vaux if poss, zetec if not, but love the sound of the V8 :D

Also wondered how it compared to my lightly modded Scoob (current everyday car). Just got full decat exhaust on that, nothing fancy :) I tend to get about 19mpg round town in it, and about 29 on a good run. Will be getting an everyday car for the commute and then the Westie for proper fun :D

Thanks for the input folks ;)

In case I misunderstood your question about tuning.....

Directly, very little. I've not tinkered with cars too much in the internals as I've never had the luxury in the past of two cars :( With the Westie being a real second car, it will be possible to have it being worked on and still have a car for the daily grind..err..commute (apart from on the nice days :D). Most of the work done on the Scoob has been done by my local garage. Apart from the gas discharge driving lights and the usual set of gauges (oil temp, oil pressure and boost) which were done by my own fair(ish) hand).

I'm not thick though, and should be able to do my own mods and stuff provided I have enough info to go on. I'm OK at following instructions, not too good at just winging it ;)

All of the V8 se7en owners I know complain that they can see the fuel gauge needle heading south whenever they press the loud pedal (if they will go laying down thick black lines on tarmac in 3rd gear...!;):D

I think I'd be right in saying that fuel injection is generally better than carbs for cruising mpg (you can actually cut the fuel completely, after all).

Jim

if you were worried about fuel economy who would buy a westfield or any sports car for that matter,get a golf TDi or something,power is a trade of for fuel and i gladly put as much fuel in the tank as it takes to keep a grin on my face.  :0  :devil:  :p

:arse:  :p  ;)

Not fussed about fuel economy but was just curious to know how V8s compared with straight 4s really, plus curious to know how much more complicated they are.

If I was worried about fuel economy....I think the Scoob would have gone a long time ago :D

Just wondered if it would be along the lines of the EVOs, where you have a quick run, as far as the next petrol pump ;)

aye i see where your coming from i had a 320bhp STI version 5 type R and that was ****e on fuel especally on track days westys are better than scoobs, :t-up: