build sequence

atomicterrier

Now I have got over the excitement of ordering the first module, I have received a build manual and wondered how much mechanical installation I can do before fitting the body work?  reading all the build logs (for which many thanks :) ) I think I can almost complete the car and then do the body, scuttle radiator seats etc? Or am I wrong?

Also some sites mention aluminium panels to fill gaps between the body and chassis sides, is there enough room to fit these with the engine installed?

I think I can almost complete the car and then do the body, scuttle radiator seats etc? Or am I wrong?

Sadly, not almost building the complete the car! You can do the easy and quick part before fitting the body - namely bolting on the suspension, fitting the brake pipes, installing the bare wiring loom and dropping in the engine, gearbox, prop shaft and diff. I.e. getting the car to rolling chassis stage.

After that, the body goes on and that is where the time consuming part of the build starts .....

Also some sites mention aluminium panels to fill gaps between the body and chassis sides, is there enough room to fit these with the engine installed?

The aluminium parts you mention are very minor (apparently, even the factory don't always fit them on full factory built vehicles!;) and it is a real chicken before egg situation - far easier to fit them without the engine installed but you need the body tub installed to determine where they will fit in the engine compartment but the engine is installed before the body and so on...... The easy solution is to NOT rivet them in place but to simply stick them in with velcro - all they do is stop road crud from entering the gap between the outer body tub and the chassis so they are not structural at all!

Apart from 'trial fitting', the seats will be one of the last items you fit but depending on the nose cone style, the radiator will be either fitted at rolling chassis stage (non ducted nose) or much later in the build (ducted nose version).

Safest bet is to follow the build sequence in the manual, that way there will be no 'oh-my-god' moments when you realise that you can no longer get to an area you need access to as there is already something else fitted in the way!