Helmets?

Mossman

Hello all,

I am preparing to do my first track day and wanted some recommendations for head protection.

Firstly, I presume a full face one rather than half? Secondly, any particular make? Lastly, any good places to buy?

Many thanks,

Mossman

Full face is best for our type of cars.

Buy the very best you can afford - if budget is a real issue, buy plain not pretty so that all your money goes in to protection not looks! Try for glass fibre/Kevlar rather than thermoplastic but again, if budget is an issue, a good thermoplastic would be OK.

Ideally, a minimum target price of £150.00 would get you into reasonable protection (I spent £250.00 on mine but although it is 'pretty', I bought it because it was a perfect fit).

Spend much time in the shop trying the helmets on - I was there for 1.1/2 hours. It is vital that the fit is good. To determine this the following may help:-

whilst wearing the helmet:-

1. get someone to tilt the helmet backwards and forwards - your eyebrows should move!

2. your cheeks (face!;) should be pinched slightly by the pressure of the inside pads so that if you open your mouth to - say- chew a sweet, you are in slight danger of biting the inside of your mouth. With this is mind, drive with your mouth closed!

The bike boys around here seem to very much like Shoei and so do I.

Shoei_helmet.JPG

I went to a local bike store for mine and they had a fantastic range. Don't buy mail order - remember you need to be sure it FITS, not just looks right or costs right.

I would also recommend that you buy a Nomex balaclava to wear under the helmet as this will make it easier to put on (ears held flat) and you can easily wash the balaclava thus helping to keep the inside of the helmet clean and sweat free. Wear the balaclava while testing the helmets in the shop - you will look like a wally but you will get the best fitting helmet this way.

Remember. its your head inside the helmet - what price would you put on that?

Try Grandprix Racewear here.

They have some really good Bell helmets for £150. (Possibly not on the website. I bought my lady a Bell M3(?) for track days and was very impressed wth the quality for the money. Its plain white but loooks the the dogs danglies.

John

I did similiar went into a massive bike shop near Leeds and was there for hours. I think I got mine for under £150, but what was weird was that identical models and identical sizes fitted differently! I was also told that they give ever so slightly after a bit. The shop was very helpful on making sure one fitted properly.

I would defo get full face, if you want some teeth left, I shudder to think of headbutting a steering wheel without full face in case of accident!

I was told to get BSI type A approved, type B's are cheaper but not as good.

But as mine is a motorcycle helmet, when sitting as a passenger in John Felsteads Weste the visor kept lifting up over 100mph down the back straight at Cadwell!!

which track day are you doing?

Regards,

Greg

Try as many different makes as possible...as a biker I found that Arai were the only ones who made a helmet that I found comfortable. The main problem wearing it for extended periods of time and getting a headache from the pressure on my forehead.

Make sure you look for a helmet with Gold BSA standard on the back, I believe this is a requirement for racing and some track days!!

Also buy one with removable lining so it can be cleaned and ultimatley replaced when it collapses.

Hope this helps, plus if you live in the Midlands check out Cradley Heath Kawasaki, it's my Dad's place, he has an excellent selection and the Sales guy's really know what they are talking about.

JD  :cool:

The gold badge is the badge of the ACU (The Auto Cycle Union) and bears the legend "British Motorcycle Sport", and has absolutely nothing to do with track day or motorsport eligibility whatsoever, unless you are on two wheels.

Most track day companies won't check the lid you wear, just that you wear one.

If you want to compete, the helmet must be Snell SA2000 approved, and/or have a BS6658 Type A or BS6658 Type A/FR kite mark.

Helmets bearing the new ECE-22 standard are not approved for motorsport use, but will be fine for use on track days........

The ECE marking is however heavily rumoured to be in line for car comp. use in the v near future. On the subject of lids; have a look at HJC. Very good fit and price :cool:  :t-up:

Blatman, is the snell sa2000 an international rating?

I want to buy a helmet whilst in canada 'cos they seem cheaper. will SA '95 suffice or does it need to be the 2000 mark. at the moment i am only doing track days, however in the future i may want to think about the SS, and dont want to have to buy a second lid!

cheers mr man in the know

I don't have a Blue Book to hand, but, IIRC, Snell standards remain valid for 10 years (as far as competing is concerned), so a Snell 95 helmet only has 3 years life left in it, even if it's brand new (which it probably isn't.) Like new cars, it's probably been "on the shelf" for quite a while.

I was going to buy in the US, but once I'd converted the currency, they weren't much cheaper, and a lot harder to return if there was a problem................You need to be absolutely 100% sure of fit etc for this reason too.....

I got my lid from Motorcycle city in Reading.

Shark RSF Manta - Type 'A' approved - Gold ACU sticker - looks good & fits great.    :cool:  :cool:

And the best part was that it was in their sale @ £70 rather than £140! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

As already said, you can use most helmets for trackdays, but for legitimate motorsport, a helmet from the Blue book listings is required. Motorcycle helmets are not acceptable. There are various Snell, BS and SA standards. Bear in mind that BS standard helmets are VAT free and the others are not.

John

Motorcycle helmets are not acceptable.

Er........both my helmets are "motorcycle" helmets, being as they were bough from motorcycle suppliers, and VAT exempt. The definition "motorcycle helmet" refers, I think, to the helmets required by law to be worn by motorcyclists. They are the ones with the blue BS sticker and approval, which has been superceded by the ECE22 standard.

Blue, BS stickered helmets are perfectly acceptable for motorsport use, ECE22 are not (yet).........BS stickered helmets are becoming increasingly difficult as the new standard is rolled out.