Brake lines

Mitch

Got some panels on my Megabusa kit and am about to fit the brake and fuel lines.  Can I fit all braided lines or is this not SVA friendly?

Mitch

Hi Mitch. I am presuming that you mean that braided flexible line would be utilised rather than rigid pipes.

I apologise for answering a question with a question, but why? Other than a purely aesthetic point of view I can't see any benefits.

Personally I would recommend using rigid pipes because using flexible pipe  may create a spongy feel to the brake pedal. I know the braided lines eliminate sponginess when used as a replacement for rubber hoses, but when used to 'line' a car any flex in the hose would be amplified considerably at the brake pedal end.

These are just my thoughts, someone else may be able to enlighten us more....

Hope this helps, Stu

Hi Stu,

Yes I mean the flexible lines and yes probably purely for "aesthetic" purposes although I would guess they would be easier to fit tidily and to replace. Dunno about performance though.  Ho hum, guess I'd better find the pipe bender....  

Thanks again,

Mitch

I've fitted braided hoses throughout my car and with Wilwood 4 pots the brakes don't feel spongy.  The Red Stuff pads take a while to warm up, which could feel like sponginess but once they're warm the pedal is rock solid.  So, no issue with spongy brakes.

Things to bear in mind - the cost of fittings is a lot more.  You also need to think about how to assemble the hoses as there's very little twist in them - you have to start from a fixed point, e.g. the master cylinder, and then carefully measure the hose length and assemble the fitting on the other in in situ so you get it correctly lined up.  I also have one annoying little leak which I need to get rid of.

Plus side is they're much easier to work with and the use of banjo fittings makes 90 bends much easier to do.

I also have one annoying little leak which I need to get rid of.

Arrrrggghhhhhh!! You never told me that before I got in it for that passenger ride around the silverstone trackday last week...

:0:D

LOL !!  It's a really tiddly little bit of weeping by the T-piece on the front of the chassis.  Needs a new copper washer really as a little tweak didn't cure it.

Besides, we weren't going quick enough on Wednesday to worry about it !!!

Oh, and ACB10s =  :D  :D  :D  :t-up:

Mitch

Sorry to be a Jonah but :(

Just wanted to make sure someones else had done it before.

Just because somebody has done it before doesn't mean Mr SVA :devil:  can't get out of bed the wrong side :blush: and change his mind :sheep:

Check with your local or any SVA Inspector. In general they are helpful :xmas:   He probably would only have issues with the security of the pipes and how frequently they are secured down the chassis.

If he says OK

:D

Hmm, perhaps a trip down to Beverley may be in order so I can have a sniff about.  Maybe the James Bond style tyre shredding hub centres aren't a good idea either.

I should point out that my car was built pre-SVA and the braided hoses were added over the winter.

Deffo check with SVA centre before you start.

My car also has braided hoses throughout, except down the tunnel. It makes caliper removal for work on the front and rear running gear much easier. My car is live axle and removing the half shafts (and complete axle) can be done without breaking the fluid lines. At the front I am going to (not yet done) run a double ended banjo on the master cylinder so that I can just have one flexible line to each front caliper. Much more flexible and can be routed nicer IMO. Downside is the flexible braided pipe costs a mint.

John

I found an SVA guide which just state that the lines "must be of durable materials", "not kinked stretched or twisted", "adequately supported, using suitable clips, which will not cause them damage, and not be exposed to excessive heat, or a corrosive environment".

Hope this helps

Steve