Calling all Westie owners, what should I do?

Azzurri

I currently own an MR2 GTS Turbo, the engine is pretty standard but it is still quick, I am looking to sell the MR2 and buy a Westfield in the coming weeks but really know next to nothing about them, for starters

1> This will be my only car, so are using them on a day to day basis a problem?

2> I still have no idea about the ranging engine sizes, which do you recommend is the best all round for the westfield, I have seen them with 2.0 Pinto and 1650 X-Flow engines which is best for acceleration too?

3> What are they like to drive in the winter? eg heaters, condensation, weather gear any good? etc.

4> I have noticed they dont do many miles, what is the reliability of the engines like? and do they need to be maintained more than a regular car?

5> Do you think I should stick with my present car? I love Westfields but do the cons out-weigh the pros?

Thanks to any replies to this thread, any feedback would be great, Gav.   :t-up:

1)  Sell the roof to buy waterproofs.  Stay dry and have good visibility.  I drive mine every day, all year round.

2) Loads of thread/holy wars on this subject.  A modern twin cam will give better day to day driveability.  The best engines for acceleration will be mind-b*******ing and probably stupid for road use.

3) I wear lined (bikers) trousers, 2 jackets, gauntlets, neck warmer, full face lid etc... during the winter and stay warm that way.  Without a roof/screen a heater probably wouldn't do much anyway.  It seems that with a roof and a heater, if it rains everything will fog up.  This scares me more than getting wet!

4)  Carbs tend to be tuned a little rich, so regular oil changes are a must to stop wear in the bores.  The car is light (500-600kg) so stresses are lower, but it's much more tempting to floor it all the time  :blush:

Also, because of stiff suspension things tend to get rattled about so it's worth giving everything a regular once over.

Many people have a westie as a second car, hence the summer mileage.  I did 20k last year with only the odd glitch.

5)  Buy one and grin inanely/laugh maniacally for a ridiculouly long time.

Carrying larger items can be a challenge at times but I always seem to manage somehow. errmmm I can't think of any other problems

First things first have you been out in one?  If not do so asap, your local club meet will be able to assist if you haven’t already been in touch with them.  This will focus you a bit more on what your after.

In regards to driving them all year round as Damian says their are quite a few people that do it and it does not cause them any problems apart from when it really pees down.  But as long as you suitably wrapped up your be fine.  I dont run a heater in mine though some people do and this can make a difference - especially if you have another half to keep sweet ;)

Engine wise your be impressed what ever you get but would suggest blagging a trip in a medium power westy - xflow, and then try a high power westy - zetec (just for matt I'll put that in), VX and V8.  If your going to use the car all year you may find the revs on a Bike engineed one a little harsh but thats no reason not to try one.  

Also post as many questions on here as you can think of we have all been in the same situation…

HTH

Westy.

Thanks for your replys so far, the thing is I will need to sell my MR2 to buy a Westfield plus I would rather have just the one car, I will have around 4500-5k to spend on one, is this enough for a good example westfield, I am leaning towards a 2.0 pinto Westie, do you recommend pinto engines? I have also read some pinto's have a four speed gearbox, are these to be avoided because I would think these would be quicker on acceleration than a 5 speed gearbox, can anybody give me a list of available engines for the Westfield and the 0-60 times on them please...sorry about all these questions but I need to find out as much info as possible, thanks again

Gav.

:durr:

0-60 times are irrelevent really as almost every car is in a different state of tune. Look at the whole package, stopping and handling are far superior to most tin tops. For the kind of budget you mention, narrows the engine choices a tad. Unless you drop on a bargain, or a complete shed, I doubt you will find a Westy with a modern 16v engine. The Pinto is a good motor, if a bit heavy, but can be made to give some decent power. Also there is positively loads of relatively cheap tuning goodies out there and are dead easy to work on. Dont discount the Xflow, similar reasons as above but lighter. As other folk have said on this thread, best thing to do is get out there and try a few.

One last thing, if you are going to use it as a daily driver, I would recommend a five speed box. A bit less tiring on driver and car. ;)