Rear Brake Line

JamesD

I am currently in the process of fitting the brake lines to my car and have hit a stumbling block with the rear brake line.

Westfield's suggestion is to run it from the Master cylinder straight to the back of the car...

Is it me or does this mean I cannot fix the brake line at 8" intervals as there is not enought contacts with chassis rails to allow the fixing of rivets???

I have seen several people run the brake line through the tunnel, is there enough length in the standard pipe for this?

Plus where can you buy the p-clips form?

Any help greatly appreciated...

JD  :(

Hi James,

I too didn't like the idea of running it under the floor and fitted it inside the transmission tunnel on the lower offside, as recommended in earlier build manuals. Make sure it'll clear the bellhousing at the front and the diff at the rear.

I had plenty of length in the pipe but to be sure cut a length of wire the same length as the pipe and make sure with a dummy run.

Maplin have plenty of P clips which are suitable.

www.maplin.co.uk

Kevin

i routed my pipes through the transmission tunnel for a bit of added safety. i would imagine that bottoming out on a speed hump would do endless damage to the pipes if running under the driver. i had enough length (for once) to do it.

try cutting some garden wire to the same length and routing it how you want to see if it is long enough. may also give you an idea of the first few bends to help get the pipework into the tunnel.

p-clips in abundance at any kit car show or auto-fumble.

'lightning looms' too??

probably, or at least have a 'soft' insert. metal on metal wont do, they will end up rubbing through the pipes. nasty.

plus they are lighter and make you go loads faster! :)