Fallout from the Weekend

jim

As a Westfield owner of nine days I have had a couple of problems this weekend:

Snapped throttle cable – having only had the car a week this was a bit unnerving - but soon fixed roadside with the help of ‘a very nice man’ :blush:

Also, something (a stone I assume) has gone right through my carbon arch guard and smashed a hole through the bottom of the rear arch! :angry:

So my first ever Forum questions to anyone good enough to offer advice are:

1. Are there certain spare bits I should always try and carry (cable for example), or do I just carry my AA card everywhere?

2. Is there a good way of patching up rear arches with holes in?! (They are detachable)

It's my 1st post so I hope it works.  :durr:

Snapped throttle cables are very often caused by mashing the pedal to the floor when very often the carbs etc were flat out just before = loads of strain on cable. Check this, and slacken cable if necessary so full opening coincides with the pedal reaching the point of no further travel.

If the damage to the arch would be disguised by a replacement guard, then fiberglass filler or matt and resin will be needed to fill the hole (dependant on size of damage-with the hole prepared as required) and prevent future cracking. If it wont be hidden, you will need to obtain gelcoat for the colour match.

Hope this helps, Stu.

That must have been some stone, S/Steel  stone guards may just have saved so much damage, but I doubt it. I've carried a mounting bike brake cable from Halfords as a spare, they do brake quite often for the reasons stated. My own tip - always carry a roll of gaffer tape , or something similar. This is reinforced after driving back home 25miles on Sat with the cycle wing held on by several yards of it after breaking a wing bracket. Brian.

Highest risk approach = driving only through your most violent estates with a car known to be a shed.

Medium risk approach = a mobile phone and an AA card.

Lowest risk approach = your own mobile backup truck, complete with driver/mechanic and enough spares to make a new car.

Give someone three options and they'll invariably pick up the middle one.

I know cos' I did and so far the AA haven't let me down: -

1) Throttle cable broke - fixed at roadside

2) Oil starved engine siezed - flatbacked to home

3) Ran out of petrol  :blush: - patronised at roadside for half an hour before filling with a gallon of gojuice and followed to local Service Station.

Welcome to the club, BTW.