Oil Leak on Blackbird

morty

I am a novice to westfields and have recently purchased a 2nd hand megabird.

It has a dry sump but seems to have an oil leak near at the front of the engine.

I cannot pinpoint the leak but I reckon it could either be pipes leading from the sump or the oil pressure switch.

Anybody else had these problems?

Errr, its a bit hard from those symptoms.

Is it a leak when parked in the garage, or only when driving?

i.e. do you get a puddle on the floor, or a mist spray effect in the engine bay?

Best thing to do is to locate where its leaking from. So clean everything up to spotlessness and then run the engine and try and spot it.

Then just tighten the union up!

Whereabouts are you?

There could quite probably be someone on the bike-engined-list or on here who would come and have a look if you're not spanner-minded.

Cheers,

Al

Hopefully managed to get to the bottom of the problem after hours of testing and cleaning and testing again.

The Oil Pressure switch thread was knackkered (technical phrase) both on the switch and on the sump.

Thus westfield are now going to pick the car up under warranty and replace all parts, flush oil out and make sure no more leaks.

But i have missed my track day at curborough tomorrow so I am sad and annoyed :angry:

Hopefully the problem will be sorted though and I can start to enjoy the westy once again

Mr Morton,

Hope you get it sorted nicely. I wouldn't want you dribbling everywhere  ;)

Otherwise, how is the new beastie?

JL

yes could get messy..

Beatie is great fun, but I have mainly bought it to enter the 750 championship and sprints.

I must get my finger out and get the rules and regs etc.

But blasting around at weekends and frightening people is lots of fun also

Should definitely join the bike-engined-cars list then, cos there are quite a few competitors from the 750mc RGB series on there.

Cheers,

Al

Hi Morty,

Is it the orange factory Megabird you have?

If so, I have a raft of pictures of it which were taken for reference for my build when it was still at the factory.  Drop me an email off-list if you would like me to send them to you.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car - I hope to be doing the same soon...

Dave

www.megabird.co.uk