VX Wide with 45's - Protruding ??!!!

DAZ 4

Just had a call from Burton Engineering who have been pressure testing and checking the head. They have found nothing wrong with the head at all :)  so the oil gallery plug that "Windy" said about is at fault, as the workshop have said that when they removed the "plug" it was absolutely caked in cr4p  :0

Important : People with suspected "porous" heads, check the oil gallery plug behind the water pump first :D

Got the car back from Pro-Tune today with its shiny new carbs and a new set of the correct spark plugs to replace the wrong ones that were fitted before. Apparently my distributor is also dodgy (and can't be repaired), and the speedo drive from the gearbox doesn't work so I'm stuck with the crummy pick-up from the UJ that doesn't work above 60mph. Further work on the speedo and maybe a 3D ignition system are called for.

On the plus side, the car no longer idles fast or stinks of unburnt fuel, and I owe Rob and his team a debt of thanks for staying until 7pm on a Friday evening to finish things off. (Guys, I'll see you again soon, there's a misfire on light throttle that needs adjusting out - it wasn't there before. Hopefully this really will be a 10 min job).

Still, I now know that my new cover fits, and I can fit the 4-point harnesses tomorrow. If the weather's fit, I'll go for a blat and try to remind myself why I bother. This has been an expensive and rather depressing week Westy-wise :(

Daz, glad your problems turned out to be nice and straightforward to fix :)

Andy.

Andy - I hope you don't answer this straight away and you're out making the most of the weather  :cool:

I've still got the speedo problem in mine to get looked at, will let you know the findings. It's getting difficult guessing what speed to slow down to for the camera's :D:d:D:D

My distributor's not too clever either (are you sure we're not sharing the same car :D). What's this 3D system you speak about ? how much ?

I don't know where you are but apparently John Mowatt at Basildon is recommended for tuning.

The car goes back together tomorrow (hopefully), can't believe the best weekend since I got the car and it's in bits  :(  . The oil plug is about 20p worth, unbelievable that something like that has caused me so much expense & grief, I just hope it is this as everything else on the head has been checked.

Regards,

Darren

Daz,

If you call spending the whole day outside on my driveway fitting a pair of 4-point harnesses 'making the most of the weather', then yes, I have been! I'll go for blat after dinner, to again remind myself why I bother ;)

The electronic transducer fitted to the speedo should have worked, except that the drive from the gearbox isn't working in my case. It could still be a good solution for you, though - mail me if you want some more info.

A 3D ignition system is a computer that replaces the distributor, and measures throttle opening as well as crankshaft speed and position. It has the advantage that ignition timing can be precisely programmed rather than relying on a mechanical system of weights and springs, and it can be a lot more sophisticated because it also takes throttle position into account. Major improvements in tractability and fuel economy are promised, for about £450.

I'm in High Wycombe, Bucks. Pro-Tune are probably a bit easier for me to get to and from without the car.

Andy.