XTR&sup2 Website update - very soon

Ian Gratton

Hi there fellow westfield folks.

I've been getting quite a few emails over the last couple of days from people asking when our build diary is getting updated.  I've tried to reply to most of you but its pretty hard.

Yes..we are still building the car - and making 'reasonable' progress.  We've been so busy building I haven't had the time to update the site.

We currently have 700+ photographs of our entire build process to date and the site is missing approximately 6 weekends of build overview and photographs.  All being well I will spend a bit of time on Monday night and get the site done so you have something to read.

The XTR² has had some more press since our last update - Car and Car Conversions have obviously had westfields car for a test (we drove it before them - ha ha ha !;) and its done pretty well (not bad considering they were comparing to a non road legal Radical SR3).  Stuff Magazine also had a very short page on the car too.

So - here is an overview of what we've been doing.

Our commisioned lightweight drilled, lightened and balanced disks have arrived and are now on the car - saving 4.5 kilos in total.

We have some extremely lightweight wheel studs (6 of our new studs weigh the same as 1 std stud)

We've finally got the correct dry sump tank from westfield and its in the car.

The M6 madrel that craig broke on our Rivnut gun has arrived so we've mounted all sorts of stuff.

The wiring loom is now in the car

The STACK wiring loom is now in the car and it works - fuel level calibrated on for our fuel cell - looks like we are out of gas ;)  Additional air temp sensor arrived for the STACK to mount in our carbon cold air box.  We also have remote alarm and shift lights as well as the std STACK ones.

The body shell has been on and off the car - allowing us to sort out the side indicators, fuel filler cap and cutouts for the roll bars - its a proper pain in the ass that requires loads of extra effort over a megabusa bodyshell.

I've spent this afternoon mounting the oil cooler onto the bodyshell side intake.  it only fills half the airdam which means there is plenty of room for an intercooler (with back exits on the end tanks) for when we turbocharge.

We have ordered some fantasticly lightweight 15" split billet wheels - they are approx 3kg per wheel lighter than the image wheels we were originally looking at.

So - we are already saving quite a bit of unsprung weight - and we won't stop here :D

God - this post is getting long :D

Other news - my P1 has finally been sold.

subarugoodbye.jpg

I'm missing it like crazy.  My new PD150 golf arrives early next week and already has some nice 18" BBS wheels waiting for it and I'm on the lookout for an Piggyback ECU/Chip to get all that 300ft/lbs of torque :D  Should tow a trailer and the car pretty well.

Visited Curborough last weekend - shame Westfield didn't bother to run their XTR - it would have been interesting to see how it faired against the other cars - there were some quick ones - the SBD car looked mental.

Anyway - my fingers are wearing out - so happy reading and hopefully you'll have some more XTR stuff to read on the site soon.

regards

Ian & Craig

Sounds great, glad to hear you're making good progress. Any idea what the total weight will be once you've finished?

Andy.

Hi Andy,

thats a very good question  :D

I think westfields SVA'd car weighed in at approx 470kilos...somewhat heavier than the race car weight on the information glossies.

I'm hoping we'll get close to 435kilos....we can only go as light as our wallets will stretch.

We are already thinking of leaving out the reverse motor - can you believe that b******* weighs 22kilos - that is nearly 5% of the cars total dry weight - mental  ???

Anyways

Catch you later

Ian

>reverse starter motor weighs 22kgs.

whaaaaaaaaatt? What've you weighed that with?

My god.... sheeesh. Are they mad????

I thought my electric reverse was heavy, that uses a suburu reduction drive starter that weighs 4.5kgs.

Will be interested to see the weight of your car. The 380kgs the factory was original quoting sounds a bit impossible to me.

So what're these wheel studs made of then? How much, where from!?

Cheers,

Al

Somehow I doubt you'll find a Westy with a 1300cc Hayabusa engine lacking in performance - even if it does weigh a massive 470kg :D I calculate 375 bhp/ton, which is... well... loads ;)

A.

Original factory blurb reckon 400ish for race car and 440kg for road.

I can't see how that's possible with the components in the kit to be honest.

Std car with reverse motor has gotta be at least 460kg.

Not quite exactly "what it says on the tin eh?"  :angry:

Ian/Craig,

Add me to the list of "I want to see your diary"!

But being in the same position, I can understand why it hasn't been updated.  I took time out from building last week to get my diary up to date.

Take a look at my build progress: www.megabird.co.uk

Glad to hear it's going well, look forward to the words and pictures soon,

Dave

Hi moomin,

just checked out your site - very kewl.  You design on the same principals as me - nice and easy to read - no flash or shockwave - nice.

As for the wheel nuts.  We are using some studs made by a company called technicrafts - they are available from Racing Gear which appears to be connected with compomotive wheels.  You can see them at: http://www.racing-gear.co.uk/

We really do sometimes wish we'd got a megabusa - certain it would be much easier to build - but the XTR will be worth the extra effort - I hope  :blush:

Ian.

I agree a Megabusa would be easier to build, and I'm sure it'd be lighter but it certainly wont have the visual appearance of an XTR2. They look great from the back, with the splitter/diffuser etc.

Whilst at LeMans I started thinking an XTR2/SR3 painted in the MG colours would be kinda cool.

I'd love to take one of those down to the post office to collect my pension ;)

I'm still absolutely stupified by the weight of the reverse motor. Thats heavier than the diff! Any idea what its from? The starter from a 12litre lorry? Should imagine you could fairly easily replace it with a smaller motor later.

So wheres this update then!?

Cheers,

Al

Am gonna recheck the weight tomight - er, was just taking the weight of the consignment the courier had  :blush:  so it may be  a little lighter - it is certainly more than 4.5kg though with all the brackets.

Will let you know tomorrow.

OK,

the update *should* happen tonight - many other pressing things with my business too right now.

Please be patient.

Ian & Craig(Deadscoob)

Site now updated - sorry for the delay

happy reading.

Ian.

Cheers graeme , :t-up:

I forgot to mention - our disks were machined by Fluke Motorsport.  they are amazingly light in comparison to the sold 'regular' brembos suppled.

Not in a position to say how well they work at the moment but I'm sure they are going to be just fine.

Well - it looks like another cracking weekend to spend in a garage full of tools and fibreglass dust :D.

My golf PD150 arrives tomorrow night so I'll be interested to see how it fairs against the P1 - er - kinda weird comparison I guess.

have fun with your toys folks - cannot wait to drive ours :D

Ian.

Have weighed the reverse setup - motor, brackets and cable - but not relays and solenoids etc - was just over 10kg - so 22lbs not kgs  :blush:

Still a lot for a reverse motor tho.......