Diff's

Pembroke Pat

I have a diff from a donor car and it turns out that it did not have one of the code numbers specified in the Westfield manual (85GG4033BA).  I have tried to drop it in to position but the casing is too large and the flange at the back interferes with the chassis. In addition it does not have a through mounting to fita long bolt but is threaded from both sides.  Can I use this diff or should I just throw it away?

In which case what type of sierra/grenada will have the correct diff.

I understand that there are Diffs that have lobro joints ( which I need) and some that have 'Tripode' CV joints?  What is a Tripode joint and can it be changed to a lobro joint?  Can anybody enlighten me?

Hi Pat. I havent got a clue specifically what the diff is out of, but it sounds like the 7.5 inch casing. There has been posts before where folk have had to 'relieve' the casing to get diff to clear the chassis. As for the bolts, I know that the large casing diff (yours) is not mounted with the long bolt but needing suitably sized replacement bolts instead. If memory serves me correctly it is the top mounting that is the problem. That is also where the measurement is taken to assertain the difference between the 7 and 7.5 inch diffs, run a tape along the top and measure the length between the top bolt holes.  

Lobro type joints have drive shafts which bolt on to flanges on the diff, whereas the tripod type diff has no visible flange when removed from car and does not have bolt on driveshafts which will help you identify quickly if you are going scrapyarding....

Unless you are planing a 300bhp monster ring phil at Road and Race and see if he will help you out as he is all ways after the diff you have the seven and a half inch one. You want a 7" lsd if poss 3.62 standard box or 3.92 close ratio box Phil may swap or do a deal for the diff you have.

Paul.

My diff has tripode joints and is from a sierra GLSi.  How do I get in contact with this chap?  What is "road and race"? :durr:

What is "road and race"?

Road and Race Transmissions, owned by Phil Stewart.......

If you have a gearbox of diff problem, he is the man.......

Phil Stewart can be contacted on 01959 525105. He's based in a village called Shoreham, near Brands Hatch.

You asked while I was searching...........