Nosecone lip

furtive

I've got a standard bodied car and looking at my nose cone, there is a lip where it meets the bonnet. Should the bonnet sit in this lip so that it is flush? Currently, mine doesn't and the lip seems to serve no purpose.

To see what I mean, have a look at this:

engine1.jpg

See the indent along the width of the nose where the bonnet would come to if it was in place? Currently, the bonnet sits proud of this indent.

I've got a new nose to fit, so want to ensure it is done properly.

Yes, it should fit in the lip so that the front edge of the bonnet is flush with the main part of the nose cone and is just short of abutting the raised part of the nose cone by a a couple of millimetres.

It sounds like your current nose cone is installed too far back on the chassis.

Have a look at what Mr F?  ???

You "might" need some foam on the lip to ensure a flush"er" finish, this also gives something for the bonnet to bed and seal onto  ;)  :)  :D

Set it all out and temporarily "fix" with tape before drilling and permanently fixing.

New noses can need some "persuasion" to align tidily  ;)  :)

Mark,

Good point about the foam on the lip - thinking about it, my son's Westy has this style of bonnet and nose cone and it does have foam rubber right across the lip. I suspect this serves for both 'levelling' and protection.