• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

ADSL

JonnyBoy

Any of you using Broardband ADSL?

Who are the best companys to go with (loughborough, leicestershire) and how much is their service?

i spoke to BT and theirs is £30per month plus the 9.99 monthly phone line rental.

I dont really need the phone line as a phone, its just for internet really.

any advice?

cheers

I have been with www.plus.net for years now including recently moving to ADSL.  There not the cheapest but I have had no problems with their ADSL service and there is a lot of online features you can tap into at their portal....my only gem of knowledge is go with a company that makes a profit that way they shouldnt go bust on you and leave you in the lurch....

I'm on Pipex DSL. £23.44 inc VAT, and massively quick :cool:

Have a look at ADSL Guide for all you ever wanted to know about DSL service providers and anything else DSL related.

I'm with BT Broadband at £29.99 a month. It made sense for me as I did have two lines, one for internet use and then the £15.99 for BT Anytime. Once I worked out the sums, switching over was an obvious choice as you get a far superior service for not much extra. You must be a BT subscriber to their phone service to apply (blackmail?) so perhaps you're with another operator at the moment Jonny, hence the need to take up BT's phone line as well? After that I'm fairly happy. Mind you, things do slow down a little with a firewall and I recomend you get the latest A/V software as the number of virus attacks I've had has gone up 5-fold!!!

I know it's not the cheapest but they were offering a good start up deal when I took it up a few months back, and I thought I'd have better chance of redress if something wasn't right with the service. Mind you after looking at Blatman's link to the Pipex service...

Pipex customers get to download Norton AV 2002 for free, too.................including ALL updates :cool:  :cool:

Mornin' Adrian. Made it back then...........

I'm with ZEN who were a bit dodgy about a year ago when ADSL really started to take off. They were one of the first to upgrade their "pipe" from 34 to 155 mb and hit a few probs. For the past 9-10 months though they have been rock solid and very fast.

BT Open World don't have the best reputation, some of this is due to the number and type of customers they get, some due to their technical infrastructure, and a lot to do with BTs internal workings.

Had a lot of bad experiences with Force 9/Plusnet before I got ADSL so would never use them again. Might have improved though.

The ADSLGuide site is the best but here are some things to consider:

1. What is minimum contract term ? If the service is crap and you want to go elsewhere it might cost you.

2. Do you get an email account/web space included ?

3. Do they support all ports ? Some of the cheaper deals block bandwidth hungry services like Kazaa. Not a problem if you only surf, but be aware.

4. Is there any port throttling ? If the suppliers infrastructure cant cope with demand, they may limit avaialable bandwidth to some applications rather than spending money on upgrading. This generally doesn't affect browsing, but could hit things like Kazaa, gaming, video conferencing etc.

5. Are you buying your router/modem, or is it just leased (a bit like Sky with their digi-boxes)

If it was up to me I'd go with one of the following (in no particular order)

ZEN

Nildram

Pipex

And definately get a decent firewall product for your PC and latest anti-virus. ZoneAlarm is probably the best free firewall, or you could buy Norton Firewall and bundle that with their anti-virus. Once you are online, go the Steve Gibson's site (http://www.grc.com) and used his Sheild's Up and Port Probe tests to see how "hackable" your PC is.

Sorry for the information overload :D

I use Pipex at work for a variety of services and suffice to say the customer service we have received has been poor at best.  I am currently looking for another provider.  

To caveat this statement and covering my :arse: , this is a personal experience and I am sure there are many other people who have positive things to say...  :D  :D  :D

sorry adrian.

i am already with BT for my land line.

i'm in a student house till june so ZEN looks favourable.

if i go with a diff subscriber to BT, do i still need the BT landline?

hmm, my quarterly phone bills are ~90quid!! i would use an 0800 ISP but my best connection speed is 32kb/s..ouch!

might try and network the connection to some house mates to bring the cost down.

does the modem connect into my base10/100 NIC or are they all USB modems?

any network hubs kicking around guys?

thx for the responses BTW

I am with Pipex, they have had problems which seem to be caused by BT, but Pipex customer support appears poor, I haven't used it, I just use the ADSL guide forums to find out if any problem is mine or more generic.

regards,

Greg

From what I can see everyone's support is poor. Pipex are so popular I'm not suprised they are having problems. Even ZEN when I called them couldn't help me and suggested I try the forums on ADSLGuide :0

No need to apologise mate. In answer to your question, I don't know and would guess that that is down to the provider.

Yes, made it back Blatters. You've obviously been following the Liege-Targa thread on the "other" channel. First time I've suffered from cabin fever in a Westfield, we had the hood up that much thru necessity. Important information when travelling in Europe from the end of August onward folks. Take some snow chains; you'll more than likely need'em!!! :(