• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Modifying the chassis

SteveF

I'm looking to get the engine as far back in the engine bay as possible, but the top of the bellhousing will foul on the top of the transmission tunnel for the position I would like it in - what are the likely consequences if I remove the section of the crossmember above the tunnel - would I need to strengthen the chassis elsewhere - anybody done anything like this before? :sheep:

By how much does the rail interfere with the bell housing?

Would it clear if you dry sumped and went solid mounted on the engine and gearbox? Or cut the rail out and weld another full width across the top of where it went. That would gain an inch.

John

Is it an alloy bellhousing as you can cut a bit out of that and then weld a thin cover plate over the hole I had to do this to my bellhousing as it had a casting of what is best described as a shadow of a starter motor oppersite the starter motor position.

Paul.

Thanks for the prompt responses -

John - an inch would help - but I'd need to go back and check the dimensions again to see if this would be enough - as idealy I'd like to move the engine about 4 - 5 inches further back than the rail would currently allow.

Dry sumping probably wouldn't help this problem much as the bottom of the bellhousing is at about the same level as the bottom of the sump - so dropping the engine down further wouldn't really help as the engine is quite tall anyway

Paul - Yes - its an alloy housing but I'm a bit dubious about cutting into the bellhousing as I'm not sure about the strength issues

Anybody else any ideas?

Steve

You could get more than inch by bridging the new cross member up higher. Have a look at the SBD yellow sprint car if ever you get a chance. they haven't modified the chassis as far as i can tell, but the rear of the engine is against the cross member you describe.

John

Errr, they (SBD) *have* modified the chassis.  Quite a lot in fact.   The engine is solid mounted on the bulkhead with the whole of the bell-housing in the gearbox tunnel (it's to the same dimensions as the MT75 tunnel).  But the bell-housing is a one off I think and there's hardly anything to it as the flywheel / clutch assembly is very compact.

In fact the SBD chassis is so modified that they produced their own drawings and design  ;)  :)  :cool:  ;)

Thats why its not in class 2A novices then ?? :devil:  :devil: