• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Finally bought Busa engine...

peterrosey

After months of scraping together funds, I've finally managed to buy a decent secondhand Hayabusa engine for my Megabusa... just got to fit it now. I plan to dry-sump it with the Westfield/ TTS  kit, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on fitting the engine.

The Megabusa manual doesn't have a sausage on fitting it - unbelievable! Is this the only £10K thing you can buy with no instructions? (I feel for you manual-less XTR boys, here...).

Anyway, any Hayabusa fitting tips would be much appreciated.

Also I've got 6x13-inch wheels - what's the best tyre size to go for? 185/60s? Westfield suggest 205/60s on 7s for the Busa -  but will 185s suffice?

I was in the same position as you back in Feb when I picked my kit up. A friend of mind started the drive home so that I could start to read the manuals. 15 minutes down the road I thought that Westfield had forgot to give me the engine suppliment! Could not be bothered to go back so phoned them the next day. "Sorry mate, there is no manual. The chap that was writing it had left the company".

What I did was build the kit upto the point where I could go no further and took a day off work and went to the factory to see one that had been completed. Take all of the strange tubes and bolts with you and ask to see them fitted. Take lots of pictures to. You will also learn a few tricks of the trade i.e. get yourself a template for the exhaust cut out.

A few notes.....

1. The two side engine mounts did not fit very well onto the chassis. I had to modify them slighty.

2. You dont need an engine lift. Simple lift with a friend.

3. Wiring loom connections are dead straight forward. The factory will advise.

4. Loosening the chain sprocket was a bit of a pain. You need a big pair or grips to hold the gear sprocket.

5. **IMPORTANT** Fit the complete exhaust before you drill the engine mounts as you can rotate the engine so that the exhaust sits nicely beside the bodywork.

I got loads of pictures sent to me but you cant beat seeing one in the flesh.

If i can remember anything else I will post it.

P.S. Wait till you fire it up for the first time!!! bl**** brilliant!

Alistair

:cool: Passed SVA yesterday!! All I can say is if you fit an aeroscreen don't forget your rear view mirror. That's not in the manual either.

Thanks Alistair for these useful tips - I will take your advice and make a return trip to the factory...

As for the mirror for SVA it's daft how many bits that you need to get through SVA aren't included in the 'complete kit'.

Still, like you say it'll all be worth it once the beastie fires up - heard my engine revving in the bike and it sounded awesome!

I had a similar problem with my Zetec build almost 5 years ago. There was no manual for that either. I don’t like knocking the factory as they have done me proud most of the time but it’s not the sort of thing I expected from Westfield. ???  :(