Tyre Choices

Pembroke Pat

I have need to select tyres/wheels for my westie and would like to know how to make the best tyre/wheel choice.  What gives the best grip? Can you have too wide a tyre?

Do people have the same tyre or do people put on extra wide rear tyres?

Do a search on this boardroom - for your info - there's loads of postings on wheel and tyre choice  ;)  :D  :)

Yes, you can have too wide a tyre. This depends on the weight of the car but mainly tyre choice much depends on expected power output, max engine revs type of car use, diff ratio (and gearbox ratios) and required ride height. Too many variables to go into here but a Westfield was originally designed to run on 13" wheels and hence the ideal ride heights are within this range. To a certain extent this can be compensated by tyre profile for larger diameters, but then wheel size and the unsprung weight increases as well.

Calculate the max engine revs and work backwards using your diff ratio for a number of tyre diameters to aim at a top speed of approx 120ish mph. Once you've arrived at your rolling diameter size, look here for various tyre sizes to use. Once you've found your ideal tyre size, shop around to find the best for performance. generally motorsport originated tyres will grip better. See

here for some ideas.

John

Fantastic.  I was after a logical process that would help me to select a sensible tyre/wheel combo first time.  Thanks

haven't followed the links through (sorry) but one thing to bear is mind is your budget....  185/60 R14 Avon ZV1's at Bracknell Tyres are ~£36 ish each fitted, bigger and wider you know the score.....