SVA Testing Stations

PeterOz

Need to book SVA test soon - has anyone any information on benefits of using particular testing stations? My closest are either Leighton Buzzard or Hayes (Yeading). Anybody with experience (good or bad) of either?? I wouldn't mind going further afield if it gave more chance of a result!

Go for Yeading in Hayes.

I took my Westfield there in March and passed first time! I had a brilliant day also as I learnt lots about SVA.

Tips on passing

---------------

Read SVA guide by Stephen Wolf.

link

Prepare car as much as you can - tester's like to see that you have made (or can/willing make) an effort to address common problem areas.

So take plently of tools and foam rubber tape.

Go with right attitude i.e. Not thinking their all b**tards! Most of the time their human like you or me and bored with the day job.

Notes

------

(1.) At Hayes they performed a skid pan test on my car to check that front brakes lock up before rears. Mine took 4 runs before they started working correctly.

(2.) WEstfields SVA kit is not sufficient in itself to guarantee a pass, in fact in my opinion this is crappy attempt as it should also include foam tape and rubber edging amongst other things.

(3.) Steering track rod end locking nuts typically fail - get some suitable rubber hose and slide this over nut(s). In fact do this for exposed top ball joint locking nuts as well  - this should please (delight :D ) tester as he will see that you have addressed a common failure area.

(4.) My VDO instruments failed because my tester found that bezel edges aren't radiused enough. This apparently depends on what dash you are using (mine is basic type). Tester allowed me to rectify these by sticking foam tape around edges of guages.

(5.) With points (2) to (4) it's all about having exposed edges radiused by at least 2.5mm (i think). Probably worth checking this and perhaps buying guage (probably only a fiver).

Hope this is some help!

Found Nottingham to be very very good.  Very professional but with a "realistic" approach as to what should be interpreted by the SVA rules.

Did my SVA in 1 hour 40 mins (with no brake test due to lsd).

Ric