Wiring my rev counter

samcooke

I'm a bit rubbish when it comes to mechanics, but I always have a go.

I've managed to successfully fit a second hand Lucas Rally electronic ignition kit which works fine (well worth doing) but I've got some spare wires and it didn't come with instructions...

First, there are two white ones with grey stipes coming out of the little black brain bit, are these supposed to do anything?

Second, I don't know where to plug my rev counter in and I'm nervous to play guessing games in case I break it. It's made by SW and there's just one black wire.

Thanks, Sam.

Sam

The only two white wires with grey stripes comming from my ecu loom are for the Lamba sensor. Mind you my ecu is MBE.

I have just fitted a new elliot rev counter to mine. I cant understand why you only have one wire though. I have three plus light wires.

Live

Earth

ECU or Coil.

The VDO I replaced also had these three.

Stuart  ???  ???  ???

Ah, thanks, that sorts the ECU wires.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the rev counter thing. I've done the earth and live ones but I'm not sure where to plug the other one, thought it must be the ECU or coil but wasn't sure which. I assume as the two white/grey wires aren't relavant it must be the coil, but is it to the + or - ?

Thanks.

The coil +ve will be supplied with 12V once the ignition is switched on and should not suffer any fluctuations.

Hence you connect the rev-counter to the -ve side of the coil which is switched by the ECU. That coil wire is generally coloured white/black.

Merci.

I thought I'd better check. I've had one too many mishaps when I've guessed things assuming it wouldn't do any harm...