Zetec Camshaft : identification and wear

chris7273

Hi,

If you stick a "wanted" ad up you can usually get a set of 130ps cams for around £100.

Also, am I right in thinking you have no hole in your bonnet and hence the air filter set up?

If so then you will be only really getting quite hot air into the engine as the intake is next to the exhaust. A foam filter or pair of filters would be much better and wouldn't cost much but get an expert to cut the bonnet or practice lots your self before having a go.

The get the engine set up on a rolling road...................it's started :D

custard - he needs the airmass sensor as its a std ford ecu piggybacked with a chip.

no way around it without risking the engine.

good time to start looking into a new (DIY) ecu and a rolling road with new filters though..

Hi,

If you stick a "wanted" ad up you can usually get a set of 130ps cams for around £100.

Also, am I right in thinking you have no hole in your bonnet and hence the air filter set up?

If so then you will be only really getting quite hot air into the engine as the intake is next to the exhaust. A foam filter or pair of filters would be much better and wouldn't cost much but get an expert to cut the bonnet or practice lots your self before having a go.

The get the engine set up on a rolling road...................it's started :D

In fact, no hole in the bonnet. The air box has also been cut and tuned to allow the bonnet to cover it without tne need to drill a hole.

There was a "boa" to allow fresh air to reach the air filter. I removed it and fell no difference.

See pictures

I already thought about the direct swap to a sausage filter but : there is a sensor (MAF ?) just behind the KN like filter. I unplugged it yesterday : the engine seems to turn "richer" and not as smooth as with the sensor plugged. If I want to put a sausage filter (with a hole in the bonnet), where should this sensor be placed ?

091027114111624304724238.jpg

(I found my car on Westfield World, here, but now she is black, if someone knows this car or remember sth about... I was told by M. Walker from Westfield that it was one of the demo cars).

EDIT : I write too slow, next time I will write in French  :bangshead:  :D    blankczechbook has replied about the MAF. Problem closed : one day (not tomorrow for sure), if I find an affordable ECU, I will install it and rewire all the engine bay (there are cables everywhere and meters of unused copper...).

Can you rotate the airbox 180 Degrees and route the airfilter and pipe down to the nose cone? this would give a good cold inducted air feed and would give better performance for sure.

Whats the other big pipe for? is that the cold air feed?

yes, the one that I removed. Iwas not convinced about its efficiency and since removed I feel no difference. Maybe I should record the temperature near the filter while driving (with and without the air ducting pipe)...

roration of the air box is impossible without cutting in the bonnet.

• 1 year later...
Chris, those cams are knackered, search on ebay should find 136 ps for around £40 (3 sets on ebay today). I thought you had Omex 600 running now

Holly thread resurrection Batman  :0  :0  :0  ;)  :D

Here`s my old 130`s as removed from a 130 engine with ident bands highlighted ;

230951_2030266003347_1445029970_32318903_5072920_n.jpg

The wear pattern on your cams looks like it`s a typical zetec pattern but the wear rate and state of the lobes is very poor , possible causes would be mis-matched cams / followers used during install resulting in high wear rate or poor quality / over used oil contributing to wear rate , zetecs (and any engine with hyd lifters are slightly more critical on oil type / quality) , so change it regularly and use 5w30 oil of good quality .

An after market management system and some decent cams / followers / head mods & remap should get you closer to your 160 hp at the wheels  :t-up:

Stryder, check the dates. The original thread was started and "completed" nearly 18 months ago. I think Chris has it sorted already...

Stryder, check the dates. The original thread was started and "completed" nearly 18 months ago. I think Chris has it sorted already...

I was thinking that.

Thank you all for the help.

In fact, everything is sorted now. I had the opportunity to buy the necessary upgrades here on the boardroom : a second hand Dunnel ported head, a set of kent FZ2002 camshafts, a 4-1 collector, a Dunnel silencer. And an Omex 600 + loom on the LocostBuilders group buy.

Everything is installed now, the car ran faultless durin our >1000 miles trip from Belgium to Wales  : it just needs some fine tuning of the fuel map to improve the mpg... it's tuned as a race car, great for fun but less funny for my wallet  :laugh:

And I am only using 5-30 multigrade oil (Gulf or Champion, a belgian brand, not as famous as our beers but good quality too  :D )

I keep the old cylinder head but I will bin the old cams and followers that look knackered. I don't know what happened to them as the history of my car is "vague" : 1998, 5 owners, 25000 miles when I bought it (2009), ZEI converted to throttle bodies with the weirdest install I have ever seen on the boardroom...