Carpets

Edo

Got the carpets from Westfield. They supply the gaiters for hand-brake and gear lever. There are no holes cut, so I'll be cutting them. 2 questions;

1. Anyone got pics of installations where remote shifter is installed - as per mine - how did you do this?

2. How do you finish off around the gaiters/fix the gaiters - just glue them?

Just measure carefully and cut the holes in the right places.

The gaiters are sewn in for best appearance. The gaiter is folded inwards to give a good "hem". Then they are sewn directly to the top surface of the carpet over the holes.

Westfield will do this for you free of charge, while you wait. It is a tedious job by hand, it really needs an industrial sewing machine. If you can't get to Westfield easily, try an upholstery place etc. It is only a 5 minute job with the right machine.

Regards

Richard

The sewing route is a good one but if you want to do it yourself as my son ('Simon Cellotape';) did, he used the existing handbrake metal surround and impact adhesived the gaiter to the underneath and then bolted it down. He then very imaginatively used the surround bezel from a car speaker for the gear lever and did the same thing with glue and self tappers! This is what it looks like:-

simcarpet.jpg

Not bad for the cellotape kid! :D

Looks good... Saw an ad in some crappy Max power mag (given to me whilst I was in Hospital honest!!;) for a co that do surrounds - may get hold of some and go that route...

Europa Spares' sister company (in the same catalogue) Cobra spares sell chrome surrounds for all sorts of things. I used the chrome surround for a Cobra roll bar as my gear lever surround as all the "gear lever surrounds" in the catalogue are HUGE! Obviously the Cobra doesn't have a quickshift installed!

Steve,

did the same with mine, but trimmed the ring for both the handbrake and gearshift the same as the gaiters before screwing down, worked a treat

Russ

The other advantage of doing it this way is that it also locates the carpet very firmly on the tunnel!

As a matter of interest, we had much discussion here a while back about the speedo cable on Simon's car as it ran round the leg area of the cockpit on the driver's side. There were several solutions put forward but Simon decided not to fit the right angle adapter as several people had had grief with these breaking down. We opted for our original solution which was to make up a false floor covering the cable and as you can see in the photograph, it does not show! It also raises his feet to a more comfortable position for the 'top hangers'.

I had some aluminium surrounds made as i couldnt find any the right size and then used rivnuts and stainless domed bolts to fit it - looks loverly. - Rivnuts are fantastic - no more horrible self tappers for me - ever!!!

good luck

Chris