We've ordered an XTR2 !!!

Ian Gratton

Hi Andy,

glad you've found where myself and Craig are now lurking.

I was faced with exactly the same problem.  STI7 or something else.  I had use of a prodrive STI7 for a short while and it is a very good car.  The new front/rear LSDs work very well and you can really feel them tightening up in corners.  The build quality was good - and the 6 speed box very snicky.

The problem I had was it would have been my forth impreza turbo in 5 years - tunnel vision me thinks.  I also took out the new M3 coupe which is a lovely car - if I had the free cash I'd have one no problems.

The thing we thought about is what do whe actually want from a performance car ???  On the roads there is very little oportunity to use all the power, the only safe place to play is on the track.  The scooby is a rally car, not a track car, and whilst good it costs a bl**** fortune to get the car good for circuit use.

We used the 'horses for courses' principal and got the XTR² entirely for track work - and its going to save us a fortune in the medium to long term.

Within the next 2 months I expect to be rid of the P1 (if anyone is interested I'll mail you the impressive spec - cost me about 36K to build  :0  ) and I am going to get a BMW 330d sport.  I am very very impressed with this car.  Similar feel to the M3 (obviously less power) but a whopping 289lb/ft of torque available from 1750rpm - hits 60 in about 7.2 and flat out does 147mph - not bad for an oil burner.  Most importantly my insurance bill will half - and I'll get approx 46mpg.  Quite a saving on approx 15K worth of driving each year :)

I'll miss my P1 very very much - but it all helps the end goal.

Make the right choice andy - you'll be joining the new fold within the month :)

Give John Moss at Westfield a ring - go have a play in a Megabusa or XTR² - you'll love it.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update: Jon Moss kindly showed me round the factory on Thursday, and let me out for a play in an 1800 Zetec powered car. The ride and handling were superb, but it felt gutless after driving a Scooby, so I want a SEiGHT instead :love:

I saw the orange XTR2 (again) too - Jon claimed that they'd always planned to make an orange one even before the photos, but I don't believe him :D

Needless to say, I'm off Westie shopping...

A.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the factory.  Its unfortunate it usually costs you money - not immediately - but you'll have a car within the month matey :)

Our XTR² is coming along quite nicely now.  We are currently fitting out the engine bay of the car right now (fuel cell, fuel pumps and filter, battery, dry sump etc.).  Our STACK instruments have arrived too - we'll be doing the wiring loom this weeekend - fingers crossed.  We thought we'd be ok without an engine for a while but the build is progressing at an incredible pace.  Craig and I are loving every minute of it (apart from getting various thumbs and fingers trapped in a rivot gun LOL)

I've also done a little bit of work on the website - just to show how much press the XTR has had over the last few weeks - and there is probably more to come very soon.

We are still lacking in content within the build diary - its not that we've actually stopped doing it.  We have approx. 450 high detail photographs of the build so far - its just tricky figuring out which ones to put on the site.  All being well Craig will write some of the text for the last few days and I'll update the site before the week is out.

Let us know what you eventually end up buying - The SEights are lovely cars - but they weigh a little more than the bike engined cars.  The dark blue SEight demo car at the factory is lovely - I want to take it home next time we visit instead of the P1 :D

Ian.

I know all about the dark blue demo SEiGHT - Jon took me out in it. What a blast  :love:

A few people have commented that they're a bit heavy, but given that I want it as a road car, and that I don't tend to corner that fast anyway, I think it'll suit me very well. I have to confess that my Scooby's tyres and brakes seem to last ages, but I do enjoy the rush of straight-line acceleration. Heavy or not, the demo SEiGHT wasn't lacking in that department!

Glad to hear that your build is going well. The completed XTR2 at the factory looked awesome. Any idea when the car's likely to be finished? It looks like we might have to go for a ride in each other's cars at some point  :t-up:

Cheers

Andy.