Newbie Questions !!

charri42

Hi all,

Just in the process of ordering my starter kit (SEiW) and hoping to get some advice on the following. Looking at installing a Zetec in the near future...

1) FRONT UPRIGHTS: Are the original Cortina parts aluminium ? - or is this why the Westfield parts seem expensive (£280). Was thinking of getting some re-con parts to keep costs down, but will these be significantly heavier ?

2) GEARBOX: Is there any good reason to choose a Type 9 over a MT75 - or vice versa ? - will one hook up easier with the zetec / is one considered a better box ?

3) ZETEC: Looking at a 2 litre - any particular year, vehicle application (e.g. Focus, MOndeo) i should be looking at for ease of application ?

4) ENGINE AGAIN.... Believe i need alternator braxket & sump mods - is this for ground clearance or packaging reasons ? - any other big mods i may need to mate this engine to a RWD MT75 / Type 9 box ?. Was hoping to get Zetec with clutch assy - is this wise ? - i.e will it work with RWD box ?

5) SEATS: Westfield seats seem expensive compared to DT offerings - e.g Sparco, Cobra, Corbeau race seats. Has anyone fitted these into the wide body westfield ? - or do they tend to be too wide ?

Sorry about the exhaustive list, I hope I may be able to give something back to the group when i have finished the build !! - Many thanks in advance for any advice.

PS - what a great website / club - loads of really useful info

Front Uprights. Stck with the re-con cast iron Cortina items. The ally uprights weigh almost the same, and have been known to give problems. If you can afford it, the ally hubs are well worth it.

Gearbox. Type 9 every time. Better selection of ratios, stronger in standard form, smaller, and a little lighter.

Zetec. 2 litre, pre August 95 to avoid the need for a cat at SVA and MOT time.

Alternator brackets and sump from either Westfield or Dunnell. The Dunnell stuff may be a little pricey, but it is VERY good gear. Not sure about the clutch assembly. Some-one else will know........

Seats. Sparco/Cobra/Corbeau are all a little wide, even for a wide body car (which yours will be). The Westfield seats are "made to measure"........... Don't tell anyone, but I think the best seats are c******m 'S' type, in leather...... :0

Finally..........Welcome..................

Blatman says "Don't tell anyone, but I think the best seats are c******m 'S' type, in leather......  "

Shhh, don't say that too loud, can't massage their ego anymore

;)

John

u can use the mondeo clutch assembly with a type 9 box. You will need a ford spigot bearing and may need to change the clutch release bearing for QH part no ct133.

if u want ease of assembly avoid the focus / mondeo mk2 engine. although it only involves a few more sump mods and a couple of extra brackets for idler pulleys etc... i've done it, if you need any help let me know..

Regarding the clutch.

The oe zetec clutch doesnt fit the zetec-mt75 application. you need a new clutch, spaced release bearing and a small spigot bearing for the end of the gbox drive shaft to fit into the flywheel.

all the finnis part no's are listed in the build manual it is worth noting that all these bits were over 100quid!

I dont know what would be needed with a type9 installation, i'm sure someone will be able to give you a comparison cost?!

regards

Cobra and Richfield seats are two alternative options to look at - smaller coachfitter type companies are also known to manufacture seats to specific sizes and styles if you want that really unique look e.g Aldridge Trim in Wolverhampton.

The links page has a list of companies that you can look through and compare - Also check out the Speed Series sponsors - Cat Motorsport, Wunoff, Plays Kool, Lightning Looms, SBD Motorsport, Winsford Body Shop and Westfield of course, all of whom can help during your build process.

Stoneleigh Show is in May - A must attend for all new builders.  ;)  :D  :)

I can vouch for Dunnell stuff, all very good quality.

A couple of other things you may want to consider;

Lightened flywheel, well under £100 and makes a massive difference when driving (and blipping the throttle at the traffic lights).

You'll need to change water pump to 1.8l version otherwise it'll be turning the wrong way (30 quid). (Dunnell also do a cooling kit for the same price as the wesite one, it looks and works allot better as well)

Carl

Ive got Cobra Roadster 7 seats in my SeiW and they fit fine - drivers side has the adjustable runners (which adds 30mm in the height - passanger just has spacers so seats are same height)  If your tall enough you can fit them without the runners (£30 cheaper per seat).

They are as comfortable as the westfield seats.

hope that helps

Cheers

Chris

PS - Good luck with the project.