emissions

p.thomas

Hi,

Can anyone tell me please if it is possible to get a post 95, 2 litre zetec engine to pass the SVA emissions tests whilst running on webers, even if it is only for the test and changed afterwards.

Many thanks,

Peter.

Well I know its possible to get a carb'd bike engine through the SVA using a 'rented' cat.... so presumably if you find someone who wants to replace his 'cat-in-a-can' silencer on a Zetec you may well be OK.

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE Site

This level of emissions will require a catalytic converter, unfortunately. If the engine's after August 95 (Perhaps December 95 if you really get into the small print), 0.5 CO and 200 ppm HC apply.

Generally, the fuel metering with carbs is not accurate enough to run a cat successfully hence most people with new engines are going to fuel injection.

However, I do remember a company bringing out a device which consisted of an air bleed valve and a lambda sensor which effectively brings the mixture under closed loop control at idle and can be used with DCOEs or bike engines running carbs. I think it was from Tiger. Don't know if it works, but I remember seeing it.

Be warned that the DVLA are starting to print emission specifications for SVA vehicles on the log books for the vehicles. This means they may be able to call these details up and test them at MOT to the same standards as originally tested at SVA at some point in future. This means you couldn't get away with removing the emissions gear after SVA.

The other approach is of course to buy an old block which is pre-95 and use that for the test. The car will then be subject to carb emissions levels for life regardless of a newer engine being fitted at a later date (such as the day after the SVA!;).

I have often wondered if I should replace my 1994 engine with a new one and hire out the '94 one for SVA's ;-)

Kevin

Unless they change the law on kit/amatur built cars and the MOT, the pre '76 visual check is all that is required and I suspect that if they did, current cars would be 'Grandfathered'.

See previous posts on that subject (the VI confirmed the above as well).

I think Ric Long did the cat hire thing with his '98 Blade engine and that got through with no problems..... have a chat with Mark at Fisher cars.

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE Site

Oh, That's right, it was Fisher. I knew it ended in "er"!

I think you are right about the MOT emissions. It does require a change in the law and that would ecrtainly not be applied retrospectively to cars already in the system. Just me and my conspiracy theories again!

Besides, there are few enough kit cars that it's not really significant what they emit. I guess it's in there to catch import vehicles which are brought through SVA and then tuned.

Kevin